Dryer vent cleaning

Old 01-04-16, 09:07 PM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dryer vent cleaning

Hello everyone,
how do you figure out when is it time to clean the dryer vent? - we purchased this house 6 months ago and i dont know if the previous owners ever did the job.

On Friday i opened the dryer vent and blew it with my electric blower (its a moderate speed 185mph). I did purchase one of the cleaning kits available on Amazon but i just went ahead and did the blower thing as it seemed easy. Not alot of junk came out but with my hand i cleaned up some of the lint from outside the home and also from the inside end of the exhaust pipe. I did couple of passes of the blower.

Now I am paranoid and not sure if i did the job right. The clothes were drying fine before i did anything and they are still drying fine. is there anything i can do to confirm it does not need further cleaning?

any tips? sorry first time owner and kinda taking all steps to ensure things are fine in the house.

Old 01-05-16, 03:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts
Easiest way I have found is disconnect vent from back of dryer and feel air flow. reconnect vent and go outside and feel air flow, should be about the same. I have been doing so long I know what it should feel like, after you know just check it outside ever once and while. A solid medal vent hardly ever clogs but a flexible one always dose.

Old 01-05-16, 06:03 AM
S
Yeah this is a flexible one but i will try that air flow thing. i have checked the air flow outside of the house and it feels heavy and good but like i said i have no previous experience of it so i don't know if its enough air flow.

Old 01-05-16, 06:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts
I would look into replacing that flexible tube with a solid one. Only place for flex is behind dryer. Be sure to not crush the tube behind dryer. Can't tell you how many heater elements I have replaced because of vent problems.

Old 01-05-16, 07:09 AM
Received 625 Likes on 555 Posts
I concur with above. Use only solid metal exhaust pipe along with metal elbows. Those elbows will rotate to accommodate any angle needed.

Old 01-05-16, 07:38 AM
S
thank you folks. I will get to replacement probably in a few months for once and all but in short term just want to ensure i do not have a fire hazard at the place.

Old 01-05-16, 08:02 AM
A
Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
No need to be paranoid. Awareness is a big factor in safety, and the fact that you are aware puts you way ahead of the curve. But definitely follow through on replacing the flex duct with rigid. When you do, DO NOT screw the joints together. You can get foil duct tape, not regular type but foil, at your local hardware or big box. The way I like to do it is align all of the fittings, as mentioned they will give you whatever angles you need, then tape the joints, all but the one that slips onto the dryer. That way you can set your joints in place, slide your dryer into place, and let the duct slip right onto the dryer connection.

Old 01-05-16, 08:42 AM
J
Like you, I'm still a relatively new first-time homeowner. We used our dryer many times before I ever thought about cleaning it. Ours exhausts on the side of the house and I remember that after I cleaned it for the first time, the improvement in airflow was pretty significant. Makes me wonder if I was just 1 or 2 drying cycles away from a fire. Nothing wrong with paranoia, lot better than complacency.

Yeah make sure you tape the joints on those adjustable elbows. I had another issue in my house where my water heater couldn't exhaust its gas properly. This made me look into my dryer and realize that at those joints of the adjustable elbow, there was a lot of air (and moisture) leakage. Taped those up with foil tape which helps keep the exhaust & moisture out of the house.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: