New electric oven install. Wiring question.

Old 01-14-16, 06:43 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New electric oven install. Wiring question.

I bought an old, but never used, single electric oven. I'm installing it in a new location in my kitchen. (previous owners had a gas oven) This is a built-in oven so I'm running a new 220 line for it. I've done a good amount of electric work on my own, so I'm confident I can handle the install. Here's my question. The oven has a label with the information and it says "Three wire only", 120/208 volts, 3.50kw and 60htz. I believe this only requires 10/3 wire and a 30 Amp breaker. Now, since I'm running a new line, I want to keep my options open to upgrade in the future. Would running 8/3 wire be overkill? Should I just go with 10/3? Aside from a double oven, is there any reason to go 8/3? My sources show 8/3 is approx. double the cost. I have a 60' run so I'm looking at $30-$75 for 10/3 or $60-$150 for 8/3..... The breakers are only a couple dollars difference. Opinions??

Old 01-14-16, 06:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,608 Votes on 1,480 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The cable you will be running is three wire plus a ground.
I'm actually surprised that is just says 120/208. Since 240 is found in a home you would usually see 120/208/240 or just 120/240.

Since your load is around 15A the 10/3 is all that is required but like you said..... 8/3 is future proof.... and I'd recommend it.

Old 01-15-16, 06:29 AM
Would running 8/3 wire be overkill?
I also recommend the 8/3 with ground. If you ever want a new oven, the 10/3 will leave you with only a few options in choosing a replacement. You will generally be limited to a single wall oven, no convection and no double oven. The 10/3 also could not be used to accommodate a free standing range if ever desired.

Old 01-17-16, 06:21 PM
C
Hey, thanks for your replies. I figured that would be the direction I'd go. I might mention, I had an electrician come out to give me an estimate the same day I posted. Now mind you, I was curious how much they would charge since I didn't really want to go shimmying around my spider filled crawlspace. The guy came in, looked at the oven from ten feet away and said, "you're going to want to go 50 amp on that right? That's what I would recommend. I would go with a 6/3 wire and 50 amp breaker." I knew immediately I would not be using this electrician. I just said, "sure, whatever you recommend." Aside from knowing 50 amp is only needed for a range, I knew this guy was a chump. He never checked the oven plate, he didn't have a flashlight or tape measure and was conveniently "out of business cards". He then quoted me $325.00 and said it's "an easy job, probably only three hours". Yea, it is an easy job that I can do in about two hours and I can get parts for under $100.00 No wonder DIY is so popular.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: