Kenmore wash starts spinning then stops - no motor spin

Old 01-24-16, 08:31 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Kenmore wash starts spinning then stops - no motor spin

Hi everyone,
I have Kenmore 110.91554210 top load washer. When I start in spinning/drain cycle...

Tub starts spinning for 10 seconds and then it stoops like it has too much. Motor also stops spinning however there is humming sound also I smell something burning. There are no clothes in tub, water does not drain as well.

If I start running spinning/drain cycle immediately again.. I can tell it tries to spin tub but it is not able to. If I wait couple hours.. then again it will spin for about 10+ sec..first time then repeats..

So far I remove cabinet and believe lid switch is functioning alright.

Old 01-24-16, 08:50 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,338 Upvotes on 2,997 Posts
That sounds like something is stuck in the drain pump. It can be unclipped and checked.

Originally I had thought you had a clutch problem. I missed the motor stalled. So the following video was to replace the clutch but if you watch it to around a minute.... pump removal is illustrated.

you tube/watch?v=tVc6SZ2DD4U#t=197

Old 01-24-16, 09:28 AM
E
Thanks for quick replay.

I removed drain pump then started spin cycle without it and looks like tub was spinning without any issues. So seems like drain pump is culprit.

I can order replacement drain pump but beside that is there anything I should check in pipe or inside tub to make sure nothing is there or that's not something really needed?

Last edited by exenew; 01-24-16 at 10:02 AM.
Old 01-24-16, 11:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Upvotes on 69 Posts
Before you take the pump off drain water (up to 25 gallons in washer) I use a wet dry vacuum. Take pump off and look in holes you will see a sock stuck in there(usually a baby sock) Slight possibility of getting sock out 1 out of 20 I can get out. Be prepared to order pump. google pump # you will get a lot of hits, here is number 3363394. Just did it and saw pumps from 8.00 to 30.00 Sears sells Whirlpool parts.

Old 01-24-16, 12:48 PM
E
I took pump out after empting water and turned out exactly as you mentioned, there was sock stuck. Removed sock and installed pump back and all started working.

Really appreciate your help.

Old 01-24-16, 01:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,338 Upvotes on 2,997 Posts
Excellent job.

The hardest part of the job is getting rid of the water.
The pump is always jammed with the tub full of water.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: