Securing dishwasher to cabinets

Old 01-29-16, 05:13 AM
G
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Securing dishwasher to cabinets

Hi everyone, my wife and I just got new solid surface counter tops installed in our kitchen.

The dishwasher was formerly attached to the bottom of our old laminate counter tops with the clips, but obviously we can't do that now.

The counter top installer showed me these plugs in the dishwasher and said if I take the plugs out, you can run a screw in through there to attach the dishwasher to the cabinets.

Well, I pulled that plug out expecting there to be some metal under it with a smaller hole...instead I just have a big hole the size of the plug with nothing behind it, as shown in the picture.

How does this work...is the plug not supposed to go back in after there's a screw in there, or do I need to get a kit for it? I'm just a tad confused.

Attached Images  
Old 01-29-16, 05:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Just looked at mine and have the same thing and same problem. I will go to store today and get a stainless screws and washers and secure mine that way. Naver saw those plugs before. Thanks.

Old 01-29-16, 06:44 AM
Upvotes: 0
How does this work...is the plug not supposed to go back in after there's a screw in there
Yes, the plug needs to go back in. The brackets from the top will be moved to the sides, hopefully you still have the brackets. You'll see slots in the DW frame side that the brackets fit into. To remove and secure the brackets, just bend the little ears slightly.
The screws will be driven through the bracket holes using the plugged hole for access.
A tip:
The side bracket screws will not screw into the adjacent cabinet face frames, the screw position is further back than that (mostly). So you need cabinets with full sides at either side of DW or need to add some additional wood to have something to screw into.

Old 01-29-16, 07:57 AM
G
I still have the brackets...so I have to pull the DW out to attach the brackets? I'll have to look at that...

Old 01-29-16, 08:33 AM
so I have to pull the DW out to attach the brackets?
You only need to pull it out a little, just enough to get to the brackets. Maybe 4-5".
You will need to pull it out completely if you need to add some wood to the sides of the opening.

Old 01-29-16, 10:57 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
What I've done in some installations is to epoxy a piece of wood under the countertop and screw into that.

Old 01-29-16, 11:54 AM
PJ's tip should have been done by the installers, it would have taken them about 5 minutes.

A complaint won't help much now, but it's their responsibility to install a wood mounting strip above the dishwasher, or a metal bracket in the case of 3cm stone.

Old 01-29-16, 12:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Have to thank every one as I have learned something today. Years of washer repair and have helped with dishwashers and never knew about this. No room for screws in top so dishwasher as been floating in hole for a couple of years.

Old 02-01-16, 07:07 AM
G
Yeah, I don't think they could have installed a wood strip on mine either unless it had been recessed into the counter material.

I don't mind fastening it to the cabinets, just wasn't sure how it was done.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: