Fridge and Freezer about 10f warmer than expected

Old 02-02-16, 02:47 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fridge and Freezer about 10f warmer than expected

KitchenAid SuperBa KSBP25FKSS02 (over 10 years old)

The fridge/freezer is "working" but the freezer side is around 40f and the fridge part is about 50f. This is ~10f warmer than it was about a month ago (and has been since day 1)
Settings are on 'medium' for both fridge and freezer but switching to the coolest one has no effect.

I removed the back panel (a 3'x1' cardboard cover) and saw the fan spinning and the compressor (the big black ball, right?) was hot to touch (I could only touch it for about 5 seconds before it became uncomfortable.)

I removed the grille at the front (where the filter goes) and there was a ton of dust over the viewable fins. I vacuumed it out but the problem persists.

What could it be?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-16, 05:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 338 Votes on 316 Posts
Does the compressor cycle or does it run continuously ?

There is a second fan inside the freezer that blows air over the evaporator coil thru the fridge and freezer. If that fan is not running there will be poor cooling. Hold the door switch in and listen or feel for the air to verify the fan is running.

Lastly.... if the evaporator coil is iced up due to not defrosting properly... that is another issue that can cause your problem. That would take removing the back cover inside the freezer to inspect the coil.

Old 02-03-16, 09:08 AM
I think the compressor is always on. One thing I did notice is that some of the gaps on the inside cover on the freezer side had a build-up of ice so I'm going to live with this until I empty the fridge/freezer a bit and take that cover off. That should give me more info

Thanks for responding

Old 03-25-16, 06:05 AM
I'm finally getting back to this issue after emptying out the freezer of all the food and getting down to the bare minimum in the fridge side.

I removed the back cover inside the freezer part and saw that the fan was running. Half of the coil around the edge of the fins had a thick layer of frosting (and may be ice underneath) - a picture is attached (you'll see in the top right hand corner where I broke a bit off with my finger.) It remains frosted all the way down until about halfway across the bottom.

I'm going to leave it switched off for a day to melt that stuff off but is there an underlying issue that causes it or just put it down to old age?

Name:  IMG_20160324_210358684.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  24.7 KB

Old 03-25-16, 09:44 AM
Group Moderator
An evaporator half covered with frost/ice would signify a low refrigerant charge in the sealed system.

Old 03-25-16, 10:03 AM
Thanks... guess I'm calling out a repair man

Old 03-25-16, 05:31 PM
One more question - lack of refrigerant implies a leak somewhere which probably means not worth fixing on a 12/13 year old fridge, right?

Old 03-25-16, 08:20 PM
Group Moderator
That is correct. If you have a tech coming he will probably measure the current draw at the motor. That tells him how hard the compressor is working.