Dishwasher KitchenAid - Motor makes weird noise, as if it was stuck

Old 02-25-16, 12:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dishwasher KitchenAid - Motor makes weird noise, as if it was stuck

Hi,

I own a 7 years old KitchenAid dishwasher. Model: KUDS03CTSS.

Recently, I noticed that the motor makes a weird noise, as if it was trying to spin/turn but something was preventing it from doing so.

See the following video: https://youtu.be/4wYJ-5VkOgM I have already dismantled the various components inside to "clean it" from all the "gunk" and the cherry cores that sometimes get stuck in the grinder. I did it again a few weeks ago, after hearing that noise, but the noise is still present.

I can't tell for sure if the noise is present each time it is started since I have not been careful at staying and listening after I start it.

From the video you can see that the cycle is at "washing". I don't know if that noise is from the motor of the pump, or the motor that is spinning the arm, or another motor (??).

I have verified that there wasn't an item blocking the arm from spinning, as it has occurred in the past (either a small spoon that was going through the holes of its compartment, and blocking the bottom rotating arm, or a too tall plate that was also blocking the middle rotating arm.

When I opened the door, there seems to have water all over the place (top and middle) dripping. The arm didn't seem to be spinning, but I don't know that it was supposed to be spinning.

When the cycle is complete, there is no water left in the dishwasher, so I assume that the pump is working properly.

I have not explored/inspected the "bottom" of the dishwasher and its components (motor, etc).

Any help/advice on investigating this would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-16, 01:34 PM
Received 59 Votes on 57 Posts
I listened to the video several times. The noise you talk about is the loud clunk at the end? Sure sounds like something is being hit inside. Does it always make that sound? Pull the bottom toe kick off and listen at the base of the machine. Does it sound like it's coming from the motor or drive or does it sound more like it comes from the inside of machine.

Old 02-25-16, 01:43 PM
Hi,

The noise is actually the CONSTANT HUMM, from the beginning until the end. Usually, when a motor runs, the noise cycles like a sinus... but this time, it is a constant noise... similar to when you take a kid's toy and prevent the motor from turning... it just humms.

I'm not sure if it always does the sound because I haven't sat through the whole cycle each time I started it, but I heard it at least 3 times. Perhaps it does it each time. I'll pay more attention in the future.

I can't tell for sure if it is coming from the inside or the motor.. but my guess would be motor.

Old 02-25-16, 02:30 PM
That's why I asked the question. That humming you hear is normal. On washers with the "quiet" package (such as the high end units) the insulation package will suppress the noise of the water sloshing around in the tub and the noise of the rotor arms rattling around. But you will hear the hum of the motor as it runs. You won't notice that on the lower end units only because the noise from the other parts drown it out.

Now what was that bang I heard at the end of the video?

Old 02-25-16, 02:58 PM
I've had that dishwasher for 7 years and I'm positive that the humm is suddenly louder/different than it was before. When it started, my wife and I immediately turned toward the dishwasher wondering what that was... so it was out of the ordinary.

That bang at the end if my daughter making some rukcus! .

Old 02-25-16, 03:31 PM
OK. Then on a seven year old machine you could have a bad bearing starting to go on the motor. If it increasingly gets louder and maybe has a grinding noise to it then you may as well replace the motor. It's an easy fix.

Old 02-25-16, 07:25 PM
How many motors are there? One to grind, one to pump and one to turn the water arm? Is there a description of what happens during each cycle so I can check that indeed all the steps are "happening"?

Old 02-26-16, 03:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
There should be a tech sheet behind lower kick panel, It should have a chart with all cycles and when they happen.

Old 02-26-16, 04:55 AM
Usually one motor, one pump. Go online to get an owners guide and you can get a parts list also.

This site you can download a service manual in PDF form

KitchenAid Undercounter Dishwasher KUDS03CTSS Service Manual in PDF format | Appliance Service Manual Reference & Location Service

This site can get you official manual and literature

Manuals and Literature

Old 05-05-16, 05:14 PM
Hi,

Thanks for all the replied.

1- I haven't seen any tech sheet behind the kickboard, and I'm sure I didn't remove it from there when I installed the dishwasher

2- The URL for the repair manual asks to buy it for 10$... does anybody here already have it or know where I can get it for free?

3- There is definitely a weird noise coming from either the motor of the pump. I'm not sure which one, but it occurs after a while (maybe after running for 1h..?). My plan was to TIME it next time and try to figure out this is during which cycle.

4- Will the repair manual give me "cheat codes" to directly have the dishwasher perform certain parts of the cycle..?

5- One option I see is to install my friend's dishwasher motor. His dishwasher is also a Kitchen Aid, although his model is from 1999 (mine is from 2008!). But since he always pre-washed his dishes, it hasn't been working that hard . He just replaced the dishwasher because there was water leaking somewhere... Is this a bad idea? Are there concerns about installing a motor from a different models (obviously I'll check the specs)?

Thanks.

Old 05-05-16, 05:32 PM
You have a bad motor. Replace it. You don't need a service manual. On line the motor will be about $65. From a local distributor about $100. It's an easy fix.

Old 05-05-16, 05:49 PM
I just called and I'm quoted 190CAD for the main motor, or 246CAD for an assembly that includes both the motor and pump (the person told me that it would be simpler to replace as a whole...). Ouch.. that's about 25% of a new unit .

I also considered put a GoPro inside to see what was going on, as I saw on youTube, but I wonder if I should switch the hot and cold water to make sure the goPro doesn't get scalded...

Old 05-05-16, 05:54 PM
25% of a new unit isn't bad. If $100 then $25 is nothing. If $400 for new unit then $100 is a lot less for a working unit. The quick easy fix is a new motor. There is such a thing as over thinking a problem vs just get it fixed the quickest way possible within cost reason. If the cost was closer to 40 or 50 % then a new unity might be the way to go. Remember you're getting a new motor and pump assembly. That's pretty much a new machine. The tub, pipe, hoses, clamps, bolts nuts, washer arms, and all the other parts don't normally wear out. If the body and controls are in working order then you're getting a new machine for about $100.