Repairing detached freezer door handle

Old 02-27-16, 07:04 AM
Question Repairing detached freezer door handle

First, thanks in advance to any feedback or advice I receive.

I've attached photos that should help explain this situation better than my words.

The horizontal handle on our Maytag refrigerator/freezer (Model MF C2061 KES) detached from the door and seems impossible to fix without approaching it from the inside out which will require breaking the seal, etc. Major heart surgery.

However, there is another screw hole on the handle on the side that has something to do with securing the handle. No screws were found under the unit, so I don't have the original parts/screws.)

Who do I call to fix this? Maytag says the only repair place is in Louisville, which is, depending on where in Louisville, could be from 20-40 miles. It's $90 + labor and parts.

Who might you suggest I call other than Maytag's suggested repair company? Or, should I just do what Maytag told me to do...pay out the butt?

By the way, in case you can't tell, there is a little bitty screw in two of the photos...under the green and white paint marks...that is loose.

Thanks again!
Bill
Name:  IMG_2094.jpg
Views: 1054
Size:  27.7 KB
Name:  IMG_2096.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  19.4 KB
Name:  IMG_2097.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  27.3 KB
Name:  IMG_2100.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  33.4 KB
Name:  IMG_2101.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  32.2 KB
Name:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  39.6 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-16, 07:37 AM
You will need a small hex key wrench to release the door stud that's stuck in the handle.

The holes for the hex set screws are on the bottom side of the handle. Once you remove the mounting stud from the handle, you should be able to just thread the stud back into the face of the door and reattach handle with the set screws.

Old 02-27-16, 08:27 AM
Group Moderator
Brian gave you a good description.

In the following diagram you can see that the screw and handle mounting stud are installed first and then the handle is attached.

Click on diagram after it opens in new page for exploded view.
sears parts direct/lis_png/PLDM/M0606060-00001.png

Parts list.... HANDLES/Diagram & Parts List for Model mfc2061kes Maytag

Old 02-27-16, 11:45 AM
Just a tip. Once you have the stud remounted to the door, it takes patience to reattach the handle.

You must back out the set screws, hold handle in place and then tighten the screws against the stud.

Not hard to do but you can only turn the hex wrench about a 1/4 turn at a time and it's a little frustrating, possibly why it's loose in the first place.