Refrigerator leveling and performance issue

Old 03-01-16, 06:23 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Refrigerator leveling and performance issue

My fridge compressor is about to go out, fridge is not cooling as well as it used to going only into its third year. When it was one year old, I went to clean behind it and to move it, I noticed it was assembled with the front tilted slightly back, so it was off its front wheels, making it difficult to move when I have to clean behind it. So I leveled it off by just taking the front off those pegs that raised the front a few degrees and let it rest on its front casters so I can just roll it forward and back as I please. So fast forward a year later it's not performing as well, and I don't know if it was due to me just leveling it off, or by doing so maybe someone in my family forgot to ensure to shut the doors and the compressor ran all night and eventually wore out, as I thought the tilt was just to help the doors shut by itself.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-16, 06:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 193 Votes on 179 Posts
Some refrigerators have coils underneath the refrigerator that get full of lint. You might want to unplug it, pull it out and inspect it better. Dust, hair, and debris will cause it to not cool properly. You could also post the brand and model number when you ask a specific question about an appliance.

Old 03-01-16, 06:36 PM
Yep, went through the whole routine. Cleaned the condenser coils. Even took the rear cover off freezer compartment and checked evaporator coils and they are not frosting evenly, did google search and said that was a sign of low Freon or condenser not pumping enough thru system. Just grasping at straws on what could possibly make a three year old fridge to bad so quickly. Thanks for the reply though.

Old 03-01-16, 07:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 193 Votes on 179 Posts
You didn't lay the refrigerator down at any point during the cleaning, did you? If so, it's usually a good idea to leave the refrigerator off for a period of time. 24 hrs or so, before plugging it back in. See the following advice.

http://www.acmehowto.com/howto/appli...rator/move.php

Old 03-01-16, 09:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 340 Votes on 318 Posts
Leaving the door open would cause the coil in the freezer to ice up. Performance/cooling would suffer. The compressor would not be damaged by this.

The fridge slightly out of level would also not harm the compressor.

If the compressor is running hot then you may have a blockage in the sealed system.
If the compressor is running cool then you probably have lost refrigerant.
Like you mentioned.... uneven frosting is also a sign of low refrigerant.

Most fridges have a 5+ year warranty on the sealed system. Parts are covered fully but labor is one year.

If you don't know what the warranty is.... post the make and model for me.

Old 03-02-16, 03:59 AM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Some fridges are not necessarily meant to be perfectly level.
With some models it is ok to have a slight lean to the back to help with door closing.

Old 03-02-16, 04:43 PM
Thanks. It's a Frigidaire Model No. FFHT1817LS8. How can you tell if it's still under warranty or not with the model no.?

Old 03-02-16, 04:51 PM
Nope, never laid it down like my son's little college fridge, lol. Thanks for the info.

Old 03-02-16, 04:59 PM
Group Moderator
As of Jan.1st, 2006, Electrolux brands including Frigidaire, Gallery, Frigidaire Professional, White Westinghouse, Tappan, Gibson, and Kelvinator will have only a 1-year warranty and no extended parts or labor warranties.

That means your fridge is not under any type of warranty.

Old 03-02-16, 09:30 PM
That's too bad, I will most likely will not buy another Frigidaire brand again, or anything Electrolux, as this model Frigidaire I had did not even last three years. Seems built to break and you have to buy the extended plan as insurance. Many common complaints on this model, compressor too noisy and doesn't cool enough. This class of Frigidaire refrigerators, in the 18 cu ft. size, are like basically an oversized version of those dormitory refrigerators you buy for your college kids.

Old 03-03-16, 03:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
Almost all appliance manufactures only have 1 year on there appliances. Started about 10 years ago. Have had many customers mad at me when I have told them this.

Old 03-03-16, 05:16 AM
Received 25 Votes on 19 Posts
Appliances these days are junk. Used to be a refrigerator would last a minimum of twenty years and thirty years was not unheard of. I bought a new refrigerator when I moved into my present house in December of 1999. It lasted fourteen years and when I told the saleswoman that she said I was lucky.

Old 03-06-16, 05:55 PM
My ongoing fridge dilemma

Ok, so here's the operating temps of my present fridge, I put digital thermometers in them that record the coolest (min) and warmest (max) temps:

Fridge compartment: min 40F max 44F

Freezer compartment: min 21F max 42F

Though my fridge hovers around the max ideal temp of 40F, I haven't seen the freezer go down less than 20F for almost a month now (even though technically it's still below freezing temp of 32F). Basically the freezer is now a fridge, but the fridge is in the unsafe zone.

I think all it needs is a shot of Freon but with the compressor going out who knows how long that lasts. To replace a compressor, recapture, and recharge Freon, that's probably going to cost the price of a new fridge, right?

It's a shame, because I know when they haul my old fridge away they're just going to give it a shot of Freon and resell it, given it is only three years old and I kept it in great shape, but time to upgrade I guess.

Old 03-06-16, 06:47 PM
I was doing a little more troubleshooting and the compressor is running a little hot to the touch, but I thought I read or heard that that's the way it should be.

The uneven frosting on the evaporator, could that be due to a bad defrost thermostat? For a $17 part, it may be worth trying to replace.

Old 03-06-16, 07:15 PM
Group Moderator
It is beneficial to keep ALL your fridge questions in the same thread. If you start a new thread... all the questions already asked and answered will be asked again.

Yes.... the compressor should be hot to the touch but that doesn't make any sense as you told us the tech said the current draw was lower than normal. It should be running cooler not hotter.

Defrost has nothing to do with frosting. If the unit didn't defrost you would get lots of ice..... not frost. An even frost would be normal.

If you fridge lost refrigerant in that short a space of time.... it wouldn't be prudent to recharge it without finding the leak.

Last edited by PJmax; 03-06-16 at 07:39 PM.
Old 03-06-16, 09:04 PM
Yes, thank you. I tried to delete the recent threads I started and put my comments under this original post but I didn't have the option. I apologize for that. Since you're a moderator, please feel free delete the other two fridge threads I started or move under this one. Thanks for your replies as well as from the other.

Old 03-06-16, 09:12 PM
Oh, and I owe you an answer as to why I'm questioning the tech's judgement, as he was a tech from Sears home repair and he didn't seem interested in truly troubleshooting what was wrong, seemed more interested in selling me a new fridge. I should have looked over his shoulder or his amperage readings on the compressor when he did it. I'm going through the steps of troubleshooting the defrost system myself just to ensure I covered all bases by going through this forum and watching Youtube videos (he didn't check for leaks or troubleshoot anything in the evaporator system, didn't seem very thorough except read the current at the compressor). Hard to believe I lost Freon because some tips said you would see some oil, and I didn't see any, if there was a leak, unless it was just released into the air. Just grasping at straws now as a new fridge is a lot of money for me, but it looks like I will have to also purchase some protection for insurance since I'm making the investment, hate to buy something new just for this to happen again within three years.

Old 03-06-16, 10:20 PM
Group Moderator
No problem. Your posts are all in this thread.

There is very little oil in the fridge system. The typical place for a leak is in the evaporator coil inside the fridge. The only time you might see oil is if the leak was right around the compressor.