Maytag dryer: drum loose - belt slips

Old 03-05-16, 03:43 AM
Angry Maytag dryer: drum loose - belt slips

Hi I am new to the forum and am hoping someone out there will be able to help me as I am at a total loss
Model: electric maytag dependable care dryer.

Problem: belt slips when rotating drum by hand or connected to motor and alot of play in front and back of drum.

So here is the whole story. I recentley purchased this used dryer on craigslist ( i know mistake #1). The guy supposedly repairs and sells them. Anyways he came with dryer and conected to make sure it worked good. Right of the bat when you push the start button the drum would not turn or it would run for a.little while before tripping the fuse and it would shut completely off. You have to wait a little while for it to reset before trying again. Before going any further I wanted to state that i was atleast smart enough to only give him $40 & my old POS dryer until he came back to fix. Needless to say I never heard from him again. Being pretty mechanically inclined & having a lot of experience with cars, I figured I would try to fix myself. There really is not much to a dryer and any repair is over all easy to fix(or atleast I thought ). I took the top and front off to see if I could find out the problem. The belt is new, the rear rollers are in very good condition as well as the front drum glides. The felt seals were not in the greatest shape but seems o.k. I mark the belt and drum and then turn drum and can easly tell the belt is slipping. It also seems like there is a lot of play and can move the drum back and forth about a half to a full inch of in the front and back. I disconnected the belt and ran dryer to see how the motor sounded. It ran smooth and from what I could tell was working correctly. I even spun the motor by hand and it turns fine and feels smooth. There is no humming or unusual sound coming from motor.. I put belt back on and reassemble everything. Again the rollers, motor, and belt all are as they should be or atleast I think so. The pulley was a little loose si I tighten it up. This model has the spring that goes from the pulley to bottom of dryer so it can only get so tight.

After all this rambling my questions are 1.)should there be this amount of play in front and back of drum? & what could be causing the belt to slip? I looked at videos of how to install the front and rear felt seals and one shows it going underneath the tabs and over laps onto itself so the drum rests on it . another video shows it just going over the outside of drum. Regardless of which way it goes the results are the same and there still seems like alot of play. One thing I did notice is there are wear marks about 2 inches wide going around the drum in front and back like something was rubbing against it at one point. Now I for one have no idea if all the parts are the correct ones or if the guy put it together wrong. The only thing I have to compare it to are videos. In addition when I look up the felt seals on different parts websites, they all list a high temp adhesive that has to be purchases separately. Should the felt seals for this model require adhesive? again it has the tabs that go all the way around the front and rear bulkheads to hold felt in place and if I were to use adhesive to attach the felt to drum, it would not turn at all. Again I am at a total loss and so frustrated. Is it the wrong belt, am I missing anything though from videos it seems like everything is all there and put together correctly. I know normally a bad motor would not spin freeley and as mentioned when I tested with belt off, it ran fine. I am no expert on dryers so any feedback and or help would be greatly appreciated. I also apologize for the long post.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-16, 08:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
post model # of dryer before I can help, I have to see which dryer you have. No you should not have a lot of play but until I can see dryer I can't help.

Old 03-05-16, 12:01 PM
dryer model #

Maytag dependable care model #
MDE9316AYW also is the felt suppose supposed to go over the outside of dryer or should it fold together and go under the tabs?

Old 03-05-16, 12:39 PM
The belt goes under the idler, correct? According to partstree, the correct belt is multi-rib, 3/8 wide and 91 5/8 long....does that sound right?

Can't answer your question about the felt, but this type drum always seems pretty loosey goosey to me, they aren't really held in there to tight tolerances.

Old 03-05-16, 01:15 PM
belt slipping

I have looked at several videos. Some show it just going on the outside of drum and one showed it over lapping or folded together a for the drum to rest on. As far as the motor, what is the best way to tell if it is bad? As mentioned in original post I can spin it by hand and turns smooth. The biggest issue I see is the belt slipping, just cannot figure out why

Old 03-05-16, 03:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Some of those belts on Maytags are tricky to install, First thing I would do is tear the dryer down and look at the rollers in the back. Make sure the centers aren't worn out and they turn freely. When drum is out look at way the belt threads in idler and motor. I think you will find the belt comes off the drum and under idler than around motor. I know I have spent many minutes trying to thread belt on these. Here is a break down of dryer. Front has to come off first to take apart. Take door off and screws in door opening to start.
MAYTAG ELECTRIC/GAS DRYER Parts | Model MDE9316AYW | Sears PartsDirect
Don't think felts are the problem on your dryer. Have never had to change them that type.
Been a few years since I have taken your type apart.

Old 03-05-16, 03:39 PM
maytag dryer

Yeah I did take the whole thing apart. I checked rollers front guides, belt , and pulley. All o.k.
I talked to a local repair guy and he heard it run over the phone. He said it is definitely said it is the motor. Guy was great. Said he had a dryer with same motor and I could go there and have it. Just have to take off which is not to hard. Thank you everyone for your input and help

Old 03-05-16, 06:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
When you are there get the blower wheel. they wear out all the time. Will give a rattle sound and have long dry times.