Burned oil in oven

Old 03-05-16, 07:26 AM
Received 61 Votes on 57 Posts
Burned oil in oven

Due to a cooking mishap, the Missus spilled cooking oil from a shallow pan while baking in the oven.

Before she could react the house filled with smoke and smell. No fire, no damage. She opened all the doors and windows to air out the house. Took about 3 hours.

Now she is faced with an oven she can't use. Short of using the self cleaning feature which she is reluctant to use (and I agree) because she is afraid it will smoke again, takes a long time and past use did not yield satisfactory results.

Any ideas of how we might clean the oven without damage?

BTW...it's gas fired.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-16, 07:55 AM
Group Moderator
Received 193 Votes on 179 Posts
I'm not the one in our house that usually cleans the oven, but easy-off oven spray is pretty potent. Let it soak just like the label says, wear rubber gloves, use a plastic scraper. Also don't breathe it when you spray it! Something that is baked on like that will probably take several applications.

Old 03-05-16, 08:10 AM
Wifey says no. It isn't compatible with the self cleaning coating they use on the oven.

Old 03-05-16, 08:18 AM
Group Moderator
Old wives tale. Why would they sell an "oven cleaner" that isn't compatable with ovens? Guess their own claim that its safe for self cleaning ovens, along with millions of satisfied customers is pure nonsense then. Some women! Sounds like it's her problem to fix then.

I'd suggest using ammonia, but since it's pretty much similar to easy off- without the foaming action-, I doubt she would approve.

Old 03-05-16, 08:20 AM
Agreed. I'm going to look at the label myself and show her.

Old 03-05-16, 08:27 AM
Group Moderator
Almost anyone would prefer the self cleaning feature on an oven since it doesn't mean getting your hands dirty. Bottom line probably is that she just doesn't want to do it. I bet you would win some big brownie points if you just told her you will handle it.

A lot of appliance guys recommend using the self cleaning feature sparingly. I doubt that's an old wives tale... probably comes from a lot of experience in seeing what 900F for 4 hrs will do to the components. Expensive use of energy too.

Old 03-05-16, 08:30 AM
I actually got her to look at the web site. She said she will consider it. Next move is hers.

Old 03-05-16, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator
Received 39 Votes on 31 Posts
Yes, you can use oven cleaners in self cleaning ovens. They sell different formulas and less toxic kinds.

Old 03-05-16, 01:25 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I don't mean to start a flame war, but frankly, I don't get the reluctance to use the self cleaning cycle. Sure it gets hot, but it's designed to work properly under those conditions without shortening lifetime. Should we not drive our cars because there are thousands of explosions inside every time we do? Or because the catalytic converter can reach temps over 1000 degrees? It's not like this is new, unproven technology. Would I do it on a cheap-#[email protected] no-name brand oven? Probably not, but I have no hesitation on a quality appliance.

I've run the self clean cycle on my ovens every couple of months for probably 20 years or more, since they first came out with the feature. Sure I take precautions...I open windows for ventilation and run the exhaust fan, I clean off whatever crud can be easily removed, and I don't run it when no one will be home.

The one concern that seems valid is that it's not a good idea for people with respiratory problems, or that have birds in the house as some are sensitive to the combustion products. But for them, using strong oven cleaners is not a good idea either.

I'm sure that now the next time I clean my oven it will blow up and burn my house down, and you all can say, see, we told you But cleaning the oven has to be one of the most miserable cleaning jobs around the house, and I'm happy to let technology do it for me..

Old 03-06-16, 05:10 AM
Sure I take precautions...I open windows for ventilation and run the exhaust fan, I clean off whatever crud can be easily removed, and I don't run it when no one will be home.
Actually this is reason enough not to use the self cleaning feature. And if you have pets that you can't necessarily take out the whole time while it's working.

Old 03-06-16, 09:41 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would clean it the old fashioned way with an SOS pad and hot water.

It's easier if you remove the bottom and clean it in a laundry sink. The burnt oil will take a lot of elbow grease but it will come off.

I'd be hesitant to use self-cleaning (I've self-cleaned one time in 8 years and plan to never use it again). The more you heat the oil, the better chance it might lacquer the metal and you'll never get it off.