Small crack in Dishwasher Fiberglass tub

Old 03-07-16, 08:35 AM
Small crack in Dishwasher Fiberglass tub

I have a 20 year old Maytag dishwasher that has developed a small crack in the interior of the fiberglass tub that is leaking a bit of water during the cycle. Is there any product that anyone can recommend to seal the crack? It would obviously need to be waterproof but also able to hold up to the hot water and steam during wash and dry cycles. Any recommendations or advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-16, 09:11 AM
Group Moderator
I don't think I have ever seen fiberglass used in a dishwasher tub. Usually they are plastic. You can try plastic epoxy or JB Weld plastic. But without knowing what plastic the tub is made from there is the chance neither will stick well. ABS is difficult for most glues and epoxies.

I would pick an adhesive and try it on a spot and see if it sticks. If it doesn't then you might have an ABS tub. You can use ABS glue from the plumbing dept. and even glue on a piece of ABS over the area as a patch. Look at the recycling symbol on packaging and plastic things to find something that's ABS to serve as the donor for material.

Old 03-07-16, 09:25 AM
Group Moderator
20 years is getting long in the tooth. Fixing one crack seems reasonable but if another appears, I'd replace the unit.

Old 03-07-16, 12:24 PM
https://www.buylazerbond.com/?uid=AF...YFxg&gclsrc=ds
I bought one of these at the Dollar Store to try and fix a paper feed tray mounting bracket that we had tried Super glue, model cement, PVC glue and it would not even begin to stick.
Took about 30 seconds and it was fixed and super strong bond.
I tried it on an old pair of plastic glasses broken at the bridge, once again it worked perfect, no mess and you could bend the glasses without it breaking.