Stackable washer/dryer violently shaking

Old 04-04-16, 06:34 PM
Stackable washer/dryer violently shaking

Hello! We have a stackable White-Westinghouse (Frigidaire) washer/dryer that has started to violently shake during the spin cycle. It is knocking off stuff on top of the unit, and moving away from the wall. When the washer is open, you can see that the middle part where you put your clothes (drum or tub or whatever you call it) is clearly off center.

The model number is: MLCE52RCS1

We are college students on a limited budget, so we are trying to avoid having to call someone out. Any ideas you guys have would be greatly appreciated!!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-16, 07:21 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Did you try to put the drum back on center? If it doesn't stay, you have to take it apart. That's the only way to see what happened. Parts are available. If you are renting, call the landlord.

Old 04-05-16, 03:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You have a washer built by whirlpool branded white westinghouse . Reason I mention this is the whirlpool parts are usually cheaper.
Here is a diagram of your washer
FRIGIDAIRE LAUNDRY CENTER - 5995265047 Parts | Model MLCE52RCS1 | Sears PartsDirect
Scroll down till you washer tub and picture to left is the one you want. Part # 5 is what you need (all 3) may come as a kit.
Look for a appliance parts store in your area for part. Tell them it is the same part as whirlpool. Take model # and part # with you. Can tell you how to do repair it you want. Will take a couple of hours and not to hard.
Pretty common problem with this washer.
PS you might call manufacture to see it any recalls on these.
Just looked up the same washer in kenmore (Whirlpool) and part# 5 in machine base is the part. Look at the price difference.
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/mode...086/00009.html

Last edited by pugsl; 04-05-16 at 04:06 AM.
Old 04-05-16, 07:14 AM
Pugsl, thank you so much for your reply! We suspected that may be the problem based on our research, and we were concerned about the part being $177, so thank you for the other link with the part! I will try calling the manufacturer as well.

We looked for youtube videos on the best way to open it up and make sure that is broken before ordering the part, but we can't seem to figure it out. Can you please advise on how to take apart and find this part, as well as how to replace it (as I do believe that is what's broken). Thanks again!!

Old 04-05-16, 08:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Retired 2 years ago so may miss a step or two.
All can be done from front but easier to take top off if you can move it off the wall.
UNPLUG UNIT FIRST
Take panel off between washer and dryer. 2 5/16 screws hold top on. Hard to do from front but can be done. Screws on back behind lid. Tape clips to top as they are hard to reinstall. Take top off (unplug lid switch)
inside front should be 2 screws that hold front on. Take off front. unplug motor, and all hoses that connect to tub. Remember small pressure hose on left side.
I think there are 2 screws that hold base in. take out and base should slid out with tub assy.
Next is just unbolting struts and installing them. There is a spring in back to disconnect first. Don't forget to reinstall spring before sliding tub in as you will have to take it out to install. (don't ask how I know.)

Old 04-07-16, 05:12 PM
Pugsl, we are having trouble removing the nuts from the back two suspension rods because the rods are freely spinning. Any ideas?

Old 04-07-16, 06:13 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Try to insert a screwdriver between the nut & the back of the dryer while you spin it.

Old 04-07-16, 06:38 PM
I'm truly sorry, I should've been more specific. We tried to put a box wrench on the nut that is on top of the suspension assembly and when we turn it the entire assembly rotates freely. However, it does not loosen the nut on top nor does it unscrew the bolt that is fastened to the base of the machine at the bottom of the suspension assembly. We have tried to secure the rod with a vice grip to loosen the nut but to no avail and we tried to fit a 23mm open ended wrench to the base of where the rod meets the nut but it is difficult to get it to remain there while we try to get the nut free. My boyfriend believes that he can unscrew the assembly by applying a large vice grip to the cup and rotating that off. Would that work or should we try to find a way to remove the nut on top before unscrewing it at the base?

Thank you so much for your time, you've truly been a life saver.

Old 04-08-16, 03:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
i HAVE HAD THAT PROBLEM BEFORE BUT CAN'T REMEMBER HOW i FIXED IT. (sorry cap lock key) Try the vise grips or put a box end wrench on nut and hit the wrench with a hammer. It usually will jar the nut loose than hold with vise grips. I don't remember it cup comes with new parts but if it dose don;t worry about damaging it. I guess you got tub out ok.

Old 04-11-16, 06:42 PM
Pugsl, we finally got the tub out tonight. We were waiting for the spanner wrench in the mail (which we got today). Before, we were trying to loosen the bolts at an angle while we were waiting for the wrench in the mail. Now that we have the tub off, we see there is a bigger problem than we thought. Not only are 2 out of the 3 suspension shocks broken (we will replace all 3), but the metal base (tub support and drum part # 63740) that the shock slips through and is fastened to with the nut on top broke, on 2 out of the three supports. I don't know if I am explaining this well... The metal base of the washer that has three legs (or supports I think they're called) out to where the suspensions are- the metal of the base broke off and is actually in between the nut and the top of the bolt (the part of the bolt that is squared off so you can put a open ended wrench on), and the two sides of the metal supports fell below the the part of the bolt that they should normally be resting on. Which is why we couldn't get the bolt to budge. It is just the two back supports that are broken. So I'm assuming that we will have to replace this part as well, are there any cheaper alternatives? Have you had this problem before? Is it possible just to replace the 3 legs?

Thanks again for all your help! I would really like to send you a gift card or something after all of this- I can't explain how much you have helped us! We really appreciate it.

Old 04-12-16, 04:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sorry to hear this. Have seen this part broken before but not in your washer. The job just got harder but doable. Since it's broken all the weight of tub sits on it. If not replaced will need to be done soon.
Take off agitator, cap off, screw in middle and agitator will lift out.
Spanner nut on top of tub shaft. (special wrench or some times a pipe wrench can be used.) either way to loosen nut you will have to hit wrench with a hammer pretty hard. Find a appliance parts store in your area, they should have one, Maybe you can rent or borrow it if you buy part there. lift basket out.
3 or 6 screws around tub holds it on. If spring on brackets around tub look how they are attached. (can't remember if they are there on yours) lift tub off.
You all ready have support nuts off whole unit with motor and transmission should lift off. 3 bolts hold assy on and should just slide off. May stick some but work up and down a few times.
Could not find on diagrams but there should be a seal in tub base, I would replace it also, usually only a couple of dollars. look how old seal comes out so you don't put in upside down. (don't ask how I know)
Where in Fl are you can help with finding parts store.

Old 04-12-16, 05:36 AM
We already took the agitator, tub, and outer tub out. We ordered the spanner wrench off Amazon. We also ordered the suspension shocks (for the Kenmore/Whirlpool that you recommended) off Amazon. So, at this point, we just need that metal base part with the three legs/supports that extend out to where the suspension shocks are located. And I will replace the seal too if you think we should while we have everything out. Here are a couple photos of what happened. We live in St. Petersburg, FL 33712. Name:  13016353_10205159581188993_1621906256_o.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  27.6 KB Name:  12980466_10153636005959576_199819686_n.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  19.4 KBName:  12987925_10153636005684576_725548489_n.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  26.7 KBName:  12992362_10153636005399576_693417949_n.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  27.6 KB

Old 04-12-16, 07:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
google this
appliance parts 33712
Will find several parts stores in your area. Don't know which is close to you. Have never seen this before, must have been doing the shaking for a while. When you pulled the tub off the shaft there is a slight chance of damaging the seal. be sure to lube seal before installing tub so it slides down shaft easy.
hope I saved you some money. Have kid and grand kids in Orlando.