GE Dishwasher draining

Old 04-15-16, 06:25 PM
H
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
GE Dishwasher draining

I thought the problem I was having was the high loop drain and the fact that in the installation they had extra hose so they just looped it. After fixing that, it worked for a couple weeks then started having problems so I'm thinking there must be a clog in the drain. I pulled out the filter and vacuumed out all the water. Dug down in pulled some other stuff out. Still not draining properly so I assume the jam is in the hose.

Problem: The geniuses who built the house installed the floor after the dishwasher, so pulling it out is nigh impossible.

When I pull out the fine filter, there's a plastic "tower" that looks like it should come out so I can access the drain area better, but I can't make it move.

I removed the extra fine filter, there doesn't appear to be access to anything else.

Other option, I have a sink snake I could use to try to dislodge a clog from the other end, but I don't want to do something that might damage the hose.

Is there a way to remove that tower to see what is down there?

Will using that snake damage the hose? I also thought about using something like coaxial cable to do it instead since it's not as hard as the metal snake.

Old 04-15-16, 07:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
First off..... a model number is required.

Are you asking if you can snake from inside of the dishwasher out ? Absolutely not.
The drain line is too soft for any type of snaking.

You may have to turn the front feet all the way up to get the dishwasher out.

Old 04-15-16, 07:57 PM
H
Model is GDT580SSFSS. Meant to post that.

Only considering a snake if there's no other way to get the drain hose out.

I tried turning the front feet up and they didn't move. I have no idea how they installed the thing.

Old 04-16-16, 05:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Did you take the loop out? loop is needed.

Old 04-16-16, 07:01 AM
H
I fixed the loop after the hose fell when the clamp came out. I also got rid of the extra hose they had just left hanging everywhere.

I have tried using vinegar and baking soda to foam through things, doesn't seem to do any good.

The plastic tower has a bolt that I didn't see before so I need to get that out it seems. Unfortunately, I can't find anything that fits down there to get to it. Looks like a 6 or 7mm, but there's almost no space around it so none of my sockets are actually getting to it.

Last edited by hmhill17; 04-16-16 at 07:54 AM.
Old 04-16-16, 10:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
here is a diagram of your washer.
GE Dishwasher GDT580SSF0SS Parts List
Part # 70 is the leveling legs. but you also have one of 2 different mounts either Part # 654 on sides if stone counter or 2 screws in to counter top. Take out screws and dishwasher should slide out. One thing I have seen is they install dishwasher than put floor in. Hope you don't have this.
Pjmax can help with repair.

Old 05-04-16, 07:19 AM
H
Guy finally showed up and said there was no problem with the drain. I wasn't home at the time, so I don't know if he actually did anything. It's possible there was a clog and he cleared it. He said it might have just been grease, so it's possible the vinegar and baking soda I sent through it actually cleared it.

Old 05-04-16, 08:20 AM
Upvotes: 0
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

A picture of the drain line would help. See above link. I don't repair dishwashers, but can usually get them working correctly by fixing installation errors.
If you're draining into a disposal or branch tailpiece, you need the high loop.
If you're draining via an air gap, the 7/8" hose that exits the air gap gets clogged often due to dips in the hose or improper use of the disposal.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: