Loose freezer door on Whirlpool fridge

Old 04-21-16, 12:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Loose freezer door on Whirlpool fridge

I have a Whirlpool wrf990slam-00. Recently, one side of the freezer door is not sealing completely so I have some frost buildup inside that side of the freezer. I've been using child locks to hold it closed, but those have lost their stick. When you look at the freezer, that side of the freezer sticks out and the other is flush.

Would removing and re-seating the door help? Do I need to replace the gasket? The whole door? Is it possible the runner is bent or the door was knocked loose somehow?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-16, 12:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
From the diagram that looks like a drawer. One of the slides may have come loose or off the track. Not the pro on this but a guess.

Old 04-21-16, 04:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 337 Votes on 315 Posts
Drawer.... correct.

Name:  index.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  14.1 KB

It sounds like the drawer is racked..... not square. Possibly the drawer was closed when something was stuck in one side.

Last edited by PJmax; 04-24-16 at 04:25 PM.
Old 04-24-16, 04:10 PM
I did notice my son leaning on the door instead of walking around the side to get something. Wondering if he bent something. The middle drawer hits something when I try to close it, but that could just be the ice buildup from not sealing completely.
I'm putting on new child safety straps to see if that will hold it closed. I'm about 50/50 on that. Appliance repair guy coming to look at my dishwasher on Tuesday so I may ask him if he has any ideas top of his head. Hopefully it's something simple in the slide ($90) or the gasket ($100), and not the door itself ($700).

Old 05-04-16, 06:56 AM
Apparently, the metal runner is pulling out too far when some people open the freezer. There's supposed to be a plastic part that holds it in place, but it's broken or just not working. So when the drawer was closed, the metal wasn't going all the way back in and was keeping things from sealing properly.

Old 05-04-16, 07:39 AM
My fridge is a Maytag but the freezer drawer slides are probably similar, the slides will help pull the drawer closed using spring action.
I had to call someone to fix mine. There were gears that somehow skipped and I couldn't figure out how to get them realigned. No parts were needed and for me, it was fixed under warranty.