Whirlpool Duet HT Burning Smell After Uneven spin cycle

Old 04-24-16, 07:55 AM
Whirlpool Duet HT Burning Smell After Uneven spin cycle

Hi everyone,

Recently our Whirlpool washer has had a difficult time with unevenly distributed loads of laundry on the spin cycle. It starts thumping loudly and we have to stop the machine and let the laundry redistribute. Then you can restart it and oftentimes it is fine after that. Today, it started doing that and when my wife shut it off, she could smell something burning. She also claims to have been finding small pieces of something here and there in the laundryŚnot sure if that is related or just something left in pockets, but i thought i would include that.

I've never had to pull this washer apart before as it's been very dependable despite its age. Does anyone know if there is something breaking or failing that might decrease its ability to handle uneven loads of laundry?

Thanks,

Steve

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-16, 08:32 AM
Group Moderator
A model number would be helpful as there are several different versions under the Duet badge.

Have you tried running after that occurrence ?

Old 04-24-16, 08:53 AM
Model number is GHW9100LW2. My wife said she has smelled it the last few loads. I suspect it will work right now, but she wanted me to take a look at it before she proceeds.

Old 04-24-16, 09:27 AM
If i slowly spin the drum around by hand, it occasionally makes a soft thumping sound.

Old 04-24-16, 09:56 AM
So i figured out that we didn't know we could clean underneath the rubber that connects the basket to the box. Found an old sock and a collection of nastiness. While cleaning, i also noticed that the basket sits unevenly in the white plastic thing that surrounds it. I wonder if there isn't some sort of gasket that is supposed to be there. My wife said she had finding long pieces of stuff resembling something that might have been burned and hardened, and i've pulled a couple of small pieces from the plastic ring around the basket that seems to be the same stuff.

http://vid127.photobucket.com/albums/p135/TurboSteveB/House/washer.mp4 Here's a poorly lit video that shows how the plastic part is separated from the basket more at one area than another.

Old 04-24-16, 09:57 AM
Group Moderator
This is a belt driven machine. It's possible the belt is slipping or has burned but I don't how parts of it would end up inside the tub.

I would remove the back and check the belt and for anything else broken back there. The following link illustrates how to get into machine in order to change the belt. It'll give you an idea what you'll see in there.

Whirlpool WPW10388414 Belt - Appliance Parts Pros

Old 04-24-16, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the video link. I will do that next. Can you tell me if the basket should be able to move around like this?

http://vid127.photobucket.com/albums/p135/TurboSteveB/House/washer2.mp4

Old 04-24-16, 10:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like a bad bearing. Turn drum by hand, should feel smooth. If any roughness bearing is bad. Also lift drum it should not move in plastic tub, tub and all should move as one. Burning smell usually is drum rubbing on front seal. It most likely is making a roaring sound when it spins.
Look up your paper work for washer drum is lifetime and some tubs are 10 years on parts. you will have to pay for labor. If bearing you will need rear tub and drum. If real bad you will also need front tub. Let us know what you find please. Just reread your post and white plastic pieces usually mean drum it hitting front tub and broken it.
Here is a diagram of washer, Look under tub and basket for parts and prices.
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/mode...00LW2&shdPart=
Parts need are 8, 11 and 21 and possible (Under door) #5
Pretty good video showing bad bearing. I think yours will have more movement.

Old 04-24-16, 10:48 AM
Group Moderator
No... that doesn't look right.

If you look at the "tub and basket parts" section you'll see there should be a spring and I believe a shock absorber in the front of the tub.

WHIRLPOOL RESIDENTIAL WASHER Parts | Model ghw9100lw2 | Sears PartsDirect

Old 04-24-16, 11:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Springs are on top and shocks are in bottom. neither will let plastic parts get into tub. He has a classic bearing problem. very common problem on front loaders.

Old 04-24-16, 11:12 AM
Group Moderator
Thanks.... I knew you knew these machines.

Old 04-24-16, 11:44 AM
The machine is still pretty quiet. Not hearing a bearing howl or anything like that. I don't think it has broken the front part of the tub. The pieces we've found are more like a hardened gasket and are gray in color. Could be trash pinched between the basket and the tub and then burned from the spinning.

In any case, i took one more video while spinning the basket.

http://vid127.photobucket.com/albums/p135/TurboSteveB/IMG_4270.mp4

Old 04-24-16, 11:58 AM
Visually, the springs and shock absorbers seem to be fine.

Old 04-24-16, 12:46 PM
I had my wife move the basket up and down while i looked at the big pulley and stud in the back and i didn't see any movement. I'm wondering if maybe the basket is failing where the shaft is attached to it.

Old 04-24-16, 01:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You will see the movement in the front. Does the drum feel rough when turn by hand? Unless very bad most likely won't see much movement at pulley.

Old 04-24-16, 02:25 PM
I did a little youtube searching and found a bunch of videos about broken spiders. I used the video from appliance parts pros to pull the thing apart and i definitely have a broken spider. Apparently there is a big class action suit involving these washers and some similar models. Not sure i'm going to wait around for that to be resolved.

Name:  IMG_4278.jpg
Views: 1010
Size:  40.2 KB

Name:  IMG_4277.jpg
Views: 918
Size:  50.1 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 04-24-16 at 04:32 PM. Reason: reoriented picture
Old 04-24-16, 03:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Call Whirlpool with model and serial #'s Drum should have a lifetime warranty and tub either has a 1 or 10 year warranty. Depends on what your owners manual says.
Spider is part of drum. I would change rear tub also. If they will replace it. We would not have taken it apart without both parts there. I retired a couple of years ago and did not see many spiders broken.

Old 04-24-16, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the help, guys. I plan to call them tomorrow and from what i've read, it's hit or miss on them honoring the warranty. My neighbor loves that sort of debate so i may get him on the case if i am unsuccessful. The rear tub does have a spot where the steel tub has worn through a bit. And that crusty gray tuff i believe was the steel tub wearing and melting the edge of the front tub as it rubbed on it.

Old 04-24-16, 06:01 PM
I couldn't figure out how to reorient the photo, so thanks. It was upright on my computer so i don't know why it was crooked when it uploaded.

Old 04-25-16, 04:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If worn spots on either tub I would replace, That said if they won't warranty tubs check how thin it is worn and if the front seal will seat. There are videos on how to replace bearings and I would do this. Bearings and seals in tub are one of the failure points. What does your owners manual say about the time it is warrantied. Thay usually is what they look at.

Old 04-25-16, 07:44 AM
Name:  Screen Shot 2016-04-25 at 10.41.47 AM.jpg
Views: 759
Size:  55.5 KB

The wear mark in the back tub isn't bad at all and doesn't perforate the structure. I don't exactly know what the edge of the front tub is supposed to be like, but if it is simply flat, i think it is usable. Might need to touch the edge up with a bit of sandpaper.

Old 04-25-16, 08:54 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Not over 10 years old tubs and drum are covered for parts not labor. Several years ago they changed to 1 year for everything. Tell them drum damaged both tubs.

Old 04-25-16, 08:59 AM
That's what i should have done, but i didn't. They are sending me the basket, though. I'd like to replace the bearings, but i can't find them listed anywhere separately from the drums.

Old 04-25-16, 09:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Go here and they are listed there about 18$ for kit.
https://www.google.com/search?q=repl...utf-8&oe=utf-8
Also video's on how to do it.

Old 04-25-16, 10:44 AM
Are there differences in quality with the bearings?

Old 04-25-16, 10:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't know we always replace tub. See if you can see a manufacture name on them.

Old 04-26-16, 04:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Been thinking about it and I would call them back and tell them on closer look found damage to tubs. Can't hurt.

Old 05-02-16, 06:16 AM
Didn't have it in me to call back, but i did get the basket. Bought new bearings and a new seal for the two tubs. Seems to be working great, after i remembered a couple of wires that i had unplugged. I did a little more than what was required as we basically gave the whole machine a full cleaning.

Thank you for the help. This has been an education.

Old 05-02-16, 11:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thanks for the update. Don't know how many I have done but after many times I found it easier to take it out from the front than the back. Have to cut green ground wire but easy to fix with wire nut. Retired now so haven't done one in over a year.