Refrigerator/freezer smells

Old 05-21-16, 08:13 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Refrigerator/freezer smells

I recently moved and the fridge is a 1994 KitchenAid KTRS22M. It works great, but after about a month it has a strong odor from both the freezer and fridge. I cleaned it thoroughly when I moved in, washed all the shelving, bins, etc. It's affecting both top and bottom, so I think it's something in the fridge itself, but I have no idea where to look. It does not have ice maker hooked up. Help!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-16, 08:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 118 Posts
I don't know about the cause of your odor but I've always set an open box of baking soda in the fridge as it's great for absorbing odors.

Old 05-21-16, 10:06 AM
Yes, I have a box in the fridge and one in the freezer and it is not making any difference. I am debating whether to get a new fridge or fixing this problem, but I am not sure how to fix it. It's not a food odor. The place had been vacant for a few months, so I made sure to clean everything, which was easy since the fridge was empty. There isn't any spoiled food in the fridge or freezer, baking soda is not taking odor away.

The odor started about two weeks after I moved in.

Old 05-21-16, 10:20 AM
Group Moderator
Received 379 Votes on 356 Posts
That is not the complete model number.

I can tell you what the typical problem is...... juice from meat gets into the condensate pan.

Usually what is required is to remove the cover over the cold coil, clean and flush the trough under the coil. Use hot water and a little bleach. That trough is connected to a drip pan under the fridge with a hose that can also become clogged and not allow the defrost water to drain properly.

Old 05-22-16, 08:46 AM
Great, thanks Pete. Will give that a try.

Also, what is the lifetime of a fridge? How many more years do you think a 1994 fridge will last?

Old 05-22-16, 10:36 AM
Group Moderator
Received 379 Votes on 356 Posts
I've found that many of the old refrigerators will run indefinitely but what happens is the plastic parts, like interior baffles and housings, crack from age and door gaskets wear out and no longer seal properly.

Old 05-22-16, 10:58 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I've found that many of the old refrigerators will run indefinitely...
Indeed, my beer fridge in the garage is a 50's model and the one I just replaced in my kitchen (still works fine) is a 75 model.

Sure hope I don't regret writing this, knock on wood.