Solution to loud spin cycle - GE washer

Old 06-08-16, 12:25 PM
H
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Solution to loud spin cycle - GE washer

Over the past few months we've noticed the washing machine has gotten quite loud during the spin cycle. I was looking on one site that sells parts and they noted some of the possible causes (below).

pulley ($18)
clutch ($161)
drive belt ($13)
transmission ($201)
drive motor ($432)

Can anyone recommend the top three suspect parts that would most likely cause this noise? The correct answer would be "It's not the transmission or drive motor".

I hate the thought of having to give up this machine. It's been so reliable and I'm not keen on these new high-tech washing machines. I like things simple.

GE model WWSR3090TAWW
Purchased in 1999

Thanks,

Andy

Old 06-08-16, 02:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts
Sorry to say usually is transmission. A lot of times there will be a puddle of water in back left corner in machine. Take front off and use a light to see if there is a puddle back there. When transmission going bad a lot of times it will throw water out the overflow.
Putty knife between top and front near edge will push clip down and front will come off. A clip on each side.

Old 06-11-16, 02:06 PM
H
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pugsl,

I took off the front cover and the only water I saw was a very shallow spot about midway back on the right (about 1" x 3") and that was it. It was maybe 1/4" deep at most.

When I put on spin cycle with the front cover off, it seemed like the loud noise was coming mainly from the tub itself.

I think what I'll do is go ahead and replace the clutch and drive belt first and see what that does. Hopefully that will take care of it. Thanks for your suggestion.

Andy

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: