Removed top element. Can stove still be used safely?

Old 06-11-16, 11:52 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Removed top element. Can stove still be used safely?

Tenants told me the top element in their stove wasn't working. I tested the connections and power is getting to the element. The lower element works. So I removed the top element and am going to try and find a replacement. But all the stores are closed. I told them they could use the stove. But then I thought about it, and the element I removed has a metal plate which covers a hole in the back. There is insulation behind the hole. Is it safe for them to use the stove while I look for a replacement element, or should I put it back in?

Old 06-11-16, 01:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
I would put it back in place or use fender washers with nuts and bolts to cover the holes.

Most ovens will work with just the bottom bake element. Some ovens use both to bring the heat up faster. The top element is the broil element.

PLEASE be careful.... most ranges only switch one half of the 240vac to the element which means the element is always live until the power is turned off. Be sure when you test that you are measuring 240VAC on the two wires.

Old 06-11-16, 02:15 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Pretty sure I don't have anything else that would cover the hole. I would have to go to a store to try and find something that fits and then it would just make sense to buy a new element. But the appliance stores are closed for the weekend. I don't imagine Home Depot would have something with these exact dimensions and holes in the right place.

My concern is that heat will get out the back and melt something, or possibly start a fire. Is that possible? Or is that what the insulation is there to prevent? It's a metal plate, so it's not like it's preventing heat from directly touching the insulation anyway. But am I right to be concerned about this? I'll put it back if you tell me it's dangerous to not cover the hole.

Or are you concerned for some other reason? I will tell the tenants not to touch anything at the back of the stove, but I doubt they would do that.

EDIT: I put it back in and covered the wires with electrical tape. Will have to do it all over again next week.

Last edited by doublezero; 06-11-16 at 02:32 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: