Whirlpool electric dryer- not drying clothes

Old 06-21-16, 05:49 AM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Whirlpool electric dryer- not drying clothes

Whirlpool Dryer Mod: CE2950XSW3

My friend's electric dryer is tumbling and the timer is working correctly (as best I know, I did not let it go through a full cycle but it seems to be turning as time goes on) but it is not heating up. I tested the receptacle with a multi-meter and I received 120v on both hots to ground and both hots to neutral. I also received 240v hot to hot. It is a 3 pole four wire. It is an older dryer and has been used a lot. The connections on the back of the dryer where the harness connects is good as I get the same readings.

I am guessing a burned out element. Any ideas on further trouble shooting it would be appreciated. I have yet to open the back up. I did not want to just go digging without direction.

Thanks for any help here.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-16, 06:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
Two parts usually could cause your problem. The top thermostat or heater element. Take back off dryer and ohm out the top thermostat and heater element. Should show a circuit. If either is open than it's bad. After fixing dryer than clean vent or you will have same problem usually. Clean vent all the way to outside. Let us know what you find.

Old 06-21-16, 08:03 AM
Ok, thanks
I downloaded the manuals so that I can identify the parts that you refer to. I will check for continuity. What about a high limit device? Could that also be a consideration. It did seem yesterday that the vent is clear to the outside and the vent screen of the dryer is kept clean.

Note: this is a commercial dryer as my friend is a landlord and this is on one of his properties. It is coin operated.

Old 06-21-16, 12:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The only thing different on commercial and residential is the coin part and usually less controls.High limit is the upper thermostat. What I gave you is almost always the problem.

Old 06-22-16, 09:38 AM
Thanks pugsl, I have to get my friend to help me move the dryer as it is up on a platform and can't turn it to get to the back. I will check out what you advised and report back.
Thanks again for your suggestions.

Old 06-22-16, 09:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Check for crushed vent tube behind dryer while out. If either units not open check for 240 volts at back of dryer. I have found burnt wires there.

Old 06-22-16, 10:10 AM
No crushed vent. I looked already. I could not check for voltage at back of unit yet as it is tight up against wall and can't get my meter probes back there safely enough not to short out something. I will look for burnt wires first though. Thanks
But I do know the vent is not bent or blocked as I even told him the vent must be free of link and not blocked. We both looked. The vent goes right out a window above the dryer.

Old 06-24-16, 04:59 AM
Ok, I have the parts listing with diagram for the dryer from Whirlpool HERE. Page 2 and 3. I can clearly see that #17 is the heating element but the other part "top thermostat" I am not quite sure which one. There are several thermostats mentioned in the parts list. Is it 7, 15, 20, - also should I check 6 thermal fuse?

Thanks!!

Old 06-24-16, 09:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Part # 9 called cutoff thermal , it's mounted on the top of heater box.

Old 06-25-16, 03:04 AM
Great thanks.
I will check it out this weekend.

Much appreciated!!!!

Old 06-27-16, 11:56 AM
pugsl

Part # 9 called cutoff thermal , it's mounted on the top of heater box.
Ok, took the back off today. Checked the other parts and had continuity. BUT #9 "cutoff thermal" none. So ordering the part today.

Thanks so much for your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh, and yes, at the bottom of the dryer where it vents was all clogged up with lint plus you name it settled in the vent line. He is cleaning it.

Old 06-27-16, 12:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thanks for the update.................

Old 07-29-16, 05:33 AM
Thumbs up Thanks so much. Problem solved!!!!

pugsl: Latest update
My friend finally ordered the part. I installed it and bango, it heated right up. The replacement bag (set) came with upper and lower so I replaced both. Now he is a happy little camper and we thank you for your help.
Now his only issue is cleaning out the vents on the two dryers. We did notice that both dryer vents were clogged badly and in the process of cleaning them from the back of the dryers to the vent on the outside wall.

So the two of us were all excited that it now heats up but, oh no!! the coin try; crude, he thought he had the right key. Well he knows he does but for some reason the key will not go into the coin try lock cylinder. Taking a flash light and looking inside we notice (well we think we do) that once of two of the key tumblers are misaligned not allowing the key to go all the way in. We compare it to the other dryer coin tray key hole. So this is now our new problem. He is almost ready to drill the sucker out and just replace it. I am discouraging him from doing this as I know it will just cause more problems.

But again, I wanted to thank you so much for your help. You saved my friend a fortune in a service call.

Have a great weekend!!

Old 07-29-16, 09:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If I remember right there is 2 keys. 1 for the coin box and one for the control assy. The key for controls I have but never get the key for the coin box. Good job on getting it working.

Old 07-29-16, 09:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 257 Votes on 242 Posts
I have a few customers with commercial washers and dryers. These appliances are not owned by the people that use them so they don't care about cleaning filters, etc. I clean the dryers and vents for them at least once a year.

Old 07-30-16, 04:04 AM
Yes, he and I both know it is important to keep them clean. He lives about 50 minutes from these units he owns and his maintenance man (who he recently let go) apparently never cleaned them out like he was supposed to every so often. So this is what happens. I am also sure now the clothes will dry faster with cleaned out vents. I guess the tenants will be happier now.