Whirlpool refrigerator issue

Old 08-05-16, 05:34 PM
P
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Whirlpool refrigerator issue

I have a Whirlpool traditional single door fridge with an overhead freezer. I am currently unable to get the model number, but the fridge is only 4-5 yrs old.

I noticed an inch of water in the top drawer of the fridge, along with some ice. The very bottom of the fridge was full of water. Everything on the bottom of the freezer was frozen to the body of the freezer. The build up of ice was concentrated in the rear of the freezer, around the vertical "conduit" (excuse my lack of a vocabulary).

Any suggestions would be most appreciated!!

Old 08-05-16, 05:59 PM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
Most likely the drain for the freezer has clogged. This is a decent description of the problem and how to address it:

Clogged Drain Causes Leaking Refrigerators

Old 08-13-16, 12:19 PM
P
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Well, I found the duck-bill check valve to be completely clogged. I cleaned the valve and cut a small "V" notch into it. There was a brown film in the tray that I also cleaned out. I removed all the water from the fridge and loose ice from the freezer. A week later and I have water in the fridge again.

Any suggestions?

Old 08-13-16, 12:32 PM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
Did you install the updated drain assembly referenced in the linked article? Apparently it's available for no cost from whirlpool.

Also, did you clean out the drain tube with a bleach solution?

Old 08-13-16, 12:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
That "brown film" is probably growing and like Paul said needs to be cleaned with hot water and bleach. Blood from meat is the usual source of the problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: