Frigidaire fridge leaking water from water dispenser/ice maker

Old 08-23-16, 07:21 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Frigidaire fridge leaking water from water dispenser/ice maker

My Frigidaire Fridge leaks when I use the water dispenser. Model number is PHS68EJSB0.

I've noticed that after I use the water dispenser, water leaks from the ice maker into the ice dispenser bucket in the freezer. The rubber seal is obviously not air tight and water leaks from the ice dispenser bucket through the ice hole and onto the floor. I'm not sure if water collects over time or only when I press for water but I think it collects over time because some of the water I see in the ice dispenser bucket looks like it's starting to form ice.

I thought maybe some ice was melting but the freezer temp is set at 0F and all the food inside the freezer is still frozen.

Checked the owners manual but couldn't find anything on this particular issue. Any ideas?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-16, 08:19 AM
Group Moderator
Received 255 Votes on 240 Posts
water leaks from the ice maker into the ice dispenser bucket in the freezer.
So then the ice maker is overfilling ? That means you'd have real big ice cubes.

Using the water dispenser should have no effect on the ice maker.
One item that can cause the ice in the bin or dispenser to melt is a defective flapper where the ice comes out of the chute.

Old 08-23-16, 10:01 AM
My mistake I have my terminology mixed up. Water is leaking from where the ice is made into the chute to dispense the ice only being blocked by the rubber flap.

Old 08-27-16, 07:56 AM
Found the culprit, not sure if it's reparable or needs to be replaced...

Name:  20160827_075305.jpg
Views: 5689
Size:  33.8 KB

I think that's the ice maker from what I read on the parts catalog.

On the left side where that tube curls, water leaks every time I use the water dispenser, building up some ice in the freezer and some leaks outside. Not sure if the tube is replaceable, I'd hope so because the whole assembly is 176 bucks plus taxes.

Old 08-27-16, 08:53 AM
Group Moderator
Yes.... that's the ice maker. That tube is the heater that heats the tray for cube harvesting.
The ice maker has nothing to do with the drinking water other than it also uses water.

There must be a hole in the drinking water line and it's leaking into the freezer.

Old 08-27-16, 09:51 AM
Ok that's good news. With that being said, how on earth do I replace it... The manual says the line is in the freezer door hinge from top to bottom. But I also have a plastic blue tube running behind the fridge coming from the assembly connected to the main copper supply line.

Does the line run from the bottom of the fridge up the door hinge into the dispenser OR from the back of the fridge to the top into the fridge and finally to the door hinge. I hope what I'm asking is clear

Old 08-27-16, 10:22 AM
Group Moderator
The tube running up the back of the fridge is usually the ice maker supply line.
The water supply line goes under the fridge and comes up thru the lower hinge.

There is very little shown with the water tubing.

FRIGIDAIRE REFRIGERATOR | Model phs68ejsb0 | Sears Parts Direct

Old 08-28-16, 09:23 AM
Tube checked out fine. I think I found the solution...

Whenever I use the water dispenser, water flows from the water dispenser as well as the tube leading to the ice maker.

Name:  20160827_232946.jpg
Views: 6052
Size:  15.7 KB

So basically when I want the water dispenser to dispense water, I get water from two places, the water dispenser, as well as the tube shown in the picture which leads to the ice maker.

My thoughts are now that if two valves are opening when I only want one, then it must be the triple solenoid water valve at the back of the fridge.

Thoughts? I will call Frigidaire on Monday to confirm since I can't find the part in Canada and I'd hate to buy the part from the US and not be able to return it if I find out it's not the problem.

Old 08-28-16, 11:39 AM
Group Moderator
Good logic.

It looks like it's not a valve problem. It appears to be a shorted diode in the valve control circuit. The diode allows voltage to only travel in one direction.... like a one way valve.

Name:  fridge tech.JPG
Views: 6356
Size:  42.8 KB

Ice maker energizes the red lines. Power goes thru the lower diode to the main valve. Power doesn't flow thru the top diode.

Dispenser energizes the blue line. The power flows thru the top diode to the main valve. Power doesn't flow thru the lower diode.

In your case.....it appears that the bottom diode is shorted allowing the blue circuit to also power the red circuit.

Old 08-28-16, 03:55 PM
Got the service manual. Thanks for all the help Pete! Hopefully it's easily solved