GE electric dryer shuts off

Old 09-20-16, 03:34 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
GE electric dryer shuts off

I have a GE electric dryer, 3-4 yrs old that will shut off multiple time during the drying cycle. I assume it's over heating. I removed and cleaned most of the duct work including the flex line that connects the dryer to the hard pipe. While there was lint in the exhaust I saw no clogs. Not sure what to check next ??

It did seem like there was a lot of dust under the dryer and it looked kind of like lint but that hadn't been swept since the dryer was installed. Both ends of the flex duct are taped to insure they stay in place and don't leak.

Old 09-20-16, 03:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Model #, Shuts off means quits running or stops heating? Cleaned vent all the way to outside? If quits running will it restart right away or do you have to wait a hour or so? Does it make a groaning noise when it starts?
Doc. App. be back later.

Old 09-20-16, 04:31 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
GTDP300EM1WS

I cleaned all the ductwork. There is about 3' of flex, then it turns down thru the floor with about 5' of hard duct to the exterior.

When it shuts off it quits running, let it set 5 minutes or so and it will turn back on. Sometimes it will continue running until it's done but often it will run 15 [?] minutes and shut off again. I think I've heard it groan before on start up but generally it does not. It heats the clothes fine.

Old 09-20-16, 04:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like motor going out. Overheat switch tripping when motor gets hot. Listen for a groan when starting, it is a sure sign of motor. GE motors I hate changing. Will give a walk through if you do it.

Old 09-20-16, 05:19 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
We probably won't do any laundry until the end of the week but I'll try to keep an ear out. I just started it a couple of times [no load] and there was no groaning.

Old 09-25-16, 10:21 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Still no groaning but the dryer quits at least once before the clothes get dry. Both me and my wife have been paying special attention for any sounds when it's turned on. I know I've heard it groan once upon start up but that was probably several months ago.

When I pulled the dryer out to check the flex duct and where it enters the hard pipe I was surprised at how much dust was under the dryer .... although it hadn't been swept under it since it was new. I'm wondering if maybe the motor is covered in dust, if so could I just take an air hose to clean it? remove the back panel to access the motor ??

Old 09-25-16, 10:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Unplug dryer first

Can't hurt to clean it but not the easiest dryer to take apart. The front has to come off. Open door 2 screws in opening top, About 2 to 3 inch screws that hold top on. Pull top to you and lift up, There are tabs in console that go in top, On some you have to slide top to left and older ones they will just slide out. 2 screws inside front to hold front panel on. Pull panel out and lift, Careful there are switch wires, Mark wires where they come off, Newer dryers they only fit one way. Memory a little shaky here but I think you can reach in and release belt. Not easy be sure to see how it is threaded.. Drum will pull straight out. It is a tight fit and you may have to take lower side panel screws out and push panels out. I think a motor is in your future.
Lint in dryers is very common, Look at front plastic parts on front panel they wear out all the time.

Don

Old 09-26-16, 02:53 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like I need to pick a day that I have a good amount of time to spend on it
I've always thought that the lint filter on this unit wasn't as good as the previous amana we had. A couple times a month I'll stick the vac wand down where the filter goes to suck up what bypasses it.
thanks for the advice

Old 09-26-16, 05:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Mark I can do one in about a hour but I have done a lot of them. There might be a panel in back for ease of belt install but not on all dryers. Check your inbox left a note there.

Old 09-26-16, 05:05 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I got a notice that my inbox was full so I emptied but you might need to resend the note, sorry

Old 09-26-16, 01:35 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
No removable panel on the back Wasn't too bad to remove the top and front. Wish I had brought the dryer on the back porch before I started disassembly didn't realize how much lint/dust was involved But I got it all blown out, just waiting for the dust to settle before I put it back together and into the laundry rm.

The plastic duct that connects the lint trap to the fan was half clogged! Is there any way to make the lint filter more effective? It's cleaned with every use and I stick the vac hose in there every so often to suck up what gets past it [obviously not doing that well enough]

Old 09-26-16, 01:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Nothing to do to the filter, Most important to keep the vent clean all the way to outside. when vent is clogged or pinched that is when dryer fills with lint. Treadmill test tomorrow had chemical last time. don't want that again.

Old 09-26-16, 01:50 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
But the duct work wasn't clogged when I checked it I do check/clean the hard duct every few months. Never had any issues with the old dryer but this one has always been temperamental .... but it does have a light

Old 09-26-16, 01:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
One of my least favorite dryers. I always find that front lint chute full. The plastic bearings on front are the next problems.

Old 09-26-16, 01:57 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm not overly fond of the washer/dryer set, doubt I'll ever buy that brand again. I've always had dryers with the front lint filter. I shied away from the top/back filter as that is what all our kids have and there is always lint laying around on top ..... but none of them clean like they should

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: