Help needed with dishwasher leak

Old 10-23-16, 02:17 PM
Y
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help needed with dishwasher leak

Hi all,
The leak is coming from some kind of actuator or switch - the attached picture shows dripping from the bottom right corner of this part. I'm still trying to identify which part it is.
Another picture shows the small puddle on the floor under this part.
The dishwasher is Maytag MDB4709PAQ1. It is only few years old.

What part is it? Is it common for it to leak? How to replace/repair this part?

Thank you.

Old 10-23-16, 02:25 PM
Y
I apologize, the 2nd picture gets uploaded upside down no matter what I do to it.

Attached Images   
Old 10-23-16, 03:12 PM
The bottom picture is upside down, but the top picture is all you need. It shows a leak about dead center above the safety label.

Hold on for an appliance repair pro, this leak is not due to any installation problems or normal leaks.

Old 10-23-16, 03:33 PM
Received 341 Votes on 307 Posts
I believe it's the overflow float switch. Is it at the front, just below the overflow flaot insdie the machine?

Old 10-23-16, 03:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,477 Votes on 1,365 Posts
That is indeed the overflow float switch area.

It could be that the tub is over filling and running down the standpipe. In the following link... the items you are interested in are the float #13 and the standpipe #12. Check for loose movement of the float first. Many times it gets gummed up with food residue and gets stuck.

Maytag MDB4709PAQ1 / Fill, Drain and Overfill Parts - Appliance Parts Pros

Old 10-23-16, 04:02 PM
If indeed it is the overflow float check for the following. Is your in coming water hot enough? Run the hot water faucet in the sink first to purge any cold water in the pipes. Disassemble the switch and float. Look for gunk (a white pasty type material on the underside of the float). Test the switch for continuity. If you have that gunk I mentioned then stop using the dishwasher capsules. try using the powder stuff. Increase your water temp. See if that helps.

Old 10-23-16, 04:12 PM
Y
Yes, based on this diagram, the dripping part is the housing for drain overflow switch. The round float inside the dishwasher (part #13 in the diagram) goes up and down. The rod in the bottom of the float presses the switch inside this housing under the dishwasher. The water must be leaking around the rod that goes from the inside of the dishwasher to the switch under the dishwasher.
What can cause this condition?

Parts for Maytag MDB4709PAQ1 / : Fill, Drain and Overfill Parts - AppliancePartsPros.com

Attached Images  
Old 10-23-16, 04:45 PM
For the reasons I stated in my previous post. I have the same problem. I replaced the float and the switch, only for the problem to re-appear. My hot water tank is nearly 17 years old and I'm convinced the water is not hot enough to melt and dissolve the soap. Run a water only load after you disassemble and clean the float. Most likely you wont have a leak, unless the switch is actually bad. That switch should shut down the machine if an overflow occurs.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: