Oven lightbulb broken, metal socket still in place

Old 11-30-16, 09:06 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Post Oven lightbulb broken, metal socket still in place

Hi.

My oven's lightbulb has gone defective. I removed the shield and attempted to unscrew it, but the glass part broke away from the bulb's metal socket.

So the socket is still firmly screwed in place inside the receptacle.

Is there a way to unscrew it? I have tried with a flat long-nose type of vise grip but it didn't work. The glass broke with a flat edge that does not protrude from the socket. Very clean job (lol).

Thanks in advance.

Old 11-30-16, 09:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,474 Votes on 1,362 Posts
First thing.... make sure to unplug the range.

Pliers usually have a hard time grabbing anything as the bulb is the same size as the socket. It's usually more effective to use something inside the bulb socket. A wide screw driver may work. I use a sharp wood chisel. It grabs the inside of the metal shell of the bulb.

Try not to distort the shell as it's aluminum and easily bent.

Old 12-01-16, 04:02 AM
Received 339 Votes on 305 Posts
Cut a raw potato and jam it into the broken bulb and socket. Twist it loose, throw away potato.

Old 12-01-16, 04:09 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
A needle nose pliers has always worked for me.

Old 12-01-16, 04:23 AM
D
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 57 Votes on 48 Posts
Cut a raw potato and jam it into the broken bulb and socket. Twist it loose, throw away potato.
I was going to mention this. Although I have never tried it, I have read this in other trivial notes. Let us know if you try this & how it works......

Old 12-02-16, 07:54 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks so much for the advice, guys!

I was out of potatoes. Following one of the advices, I tried again with that long-nosed vise grip. I pinched one side that was lightly bent. I wiggled from side to side several times. Nothing budged. I have tried at two other spots that I slighlty bent beforehand, wiggling again. Eventually, the socket started to loosen a bit. I was then able to rotate the socket by turning the vise grip slowly but with a lot of force. It eventually worked. The dead socket was badly mangled when I finished, but there was no scrap left in the socket and I was able to screw a new lightbulb into place. Next time, I'll buy a potato, though, I'm sure it's more fun (lol).

Thanks again you all.

Old 12-03-16, 05:03 AM
D
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 57 Votes on 48 Posts
Glad you got it worked out. Thanks for letting us know.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: