Frigidaire chest freezer only cools to fridge temps.

Old 01-14-17, 11:59 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Frigidaire chest freezer only cools to fridge temps.

I discovered my Frigidaire chest freezer (model LFFC09M5HWV) warm and with no power. The GCF outlet it was using wasw dead (I flipped and reset the breaker, plugged in other devices into the outlet--nothing).

I plugged the freezer into a different outlet and it has power now and cools, but not enough to freezing temperature.

On the freezer, I verified the start relay has continuity. I also bypassed/jumped the temperature control thermostat and the freezer still only cools to about refrigerator temperature after several hours with the lid shut, so the thermostat isn't the problem.

The lid has a good seal to the main freezer.

No need to clean the condensor coils--they are within the walls of the unit and cannot be accessed.

I let the unit sit for a few days so the coils could defrost if they were iced and then turned it back on, but it still just gets cool but not cold enough to freeze a cup of water after several hours.

Any other ideas before I toss this freezer?

Old 01-14-17, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
One thing to look for is after being defrosted and then operated for awhile the inside walls should be evenly frosted from about 6" from the top to about 6" from the bottom.
If there is only frost on a small section then it could have a refrigrrant leak which is usually not repairable.

Another symptom is if the inside walls appear to be evenly cool or frosted and the compressor is very hot to the touch then the compresdor could be worn out which is also not practical to repair.

Old 01-14-17, 04:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
To add to what Greg posted..... does the compressor cycle or run continuously ?

Old 01-15-17, 05:07 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Super helpful. The frost rings extend all the way around and all the way down. But the compressor was very hot, so I'm confident that is the problem, which probably isn't worth fixing on my unit. Thanks.

Old 01-15-17, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
As a very rough guide the discharge line at the compressor when it is running correctly would be about 225 degF.
The dome of the compressor when running correctly should be not much more than 130 degF.

You could use an infrared thermometer to check the dome or using caution and good judgement should be able to place your hand on the dome for a few seconds.

Last edited by GregH; 01-15-17 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Typo

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: