Rust stains: caused by washer?

Old 01-25-17, 03:56 PM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rust stains: caused by washer?

Getting the odd stain on clothes. Kenmore top loader 15 yrs old. I'm going to clean the drum with some sort of solvent. I'm not seeing any drum degradation, it looks fine. I guess though there can be rusting on the outside of the drum? I'll post back with the model number as I may have a go at replacing the drum if that is feasible for the handyman. By memory it is something like 2901xxxxxx but I'll get the actual number.

Thanks

Old 01-25-17, 04:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,604 Votes on 1,478 Posts
What type of stain is it ?
Rust would be reddish colored and would leave more than a stain. Usually a powdery residue. .

I severely doubt it's caused by rust.
Probably 106.xxxxxx or 110.xxxxxx for a Whirlpool manufactured washer.

We'll look forward to the model number.

Old 01-25-17, 04:30 PM
J
Received 107 Votes on 94 Posts
Had the water tested to see if you need a softener?
No way would I be spending much money on a 15 year old appliance!

Old 01-25-17, 04:38 PM
Group Moderator
No way would I be spending much money on a 15 year old appliance!
That is not always true.

I have a 20+ year old Whirlpool top load washer. Been used hard. I plan to replace the transmission in it. I won't get rid of it until the tub rusts thru. The machine owes me nothing and it will live on.

I am completely dissatisfied at the crap they call HE washers now.

Old 01-25-17, 11:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Votes on 69 Posts
Are you sure it is the dryer, Most rust type stains come from dryer. Post model # of both and We can tell which one is usual problem.

Old 02-02-17, 10:35 AM
I
Thanks, here is the washer number:
Kenmore - 22912100 Type 111
Will not post dryer info as better half reminded me the shirts (these are the items stained) don't go in the dryer. Rather they are left to dry on hangers in the laundry 'room'. What we get are light orange colored pea sized 'blobs', for some reason nearly always toward the base of the shirt. Usually just one but I have a shirt with a few stains on it. They are hard set, bleach will not remove them. We will try the lemon juice / salt / sunshine trick to see if that will shift. She's taken to washing the shirts inside a pillowcase but reported that a new stain had appeared on one of my sons shirts. Any thoughts / approaches on cleaning the drum? I did buy some CLR but have not tried that yet.
Thanks

Old 02-02-17, 11:08 AM
Group Moderator
That would be 110.22912100 and is a Whirlpool built machine.

Does your wife use fabric softener ?
Not just during the load where the staining occurs but in any loads ?

Fabric softener is oil based and cause cause problems if the dispenser is dirty and leaks it out when it shouldn't.

Old 02-02-17, 11:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Pretty basic machine (to bad EPA got involved and stopped making them) I would guess you have checked for chips in tub. Not much that could cause stains. I guess clothes could get under agitator but unlikely. If you want to clean under there take off dispenser and there is a center bolt that holds it down. 1/2 inch bolt , take out and pull agitator off. May have some crud near top of shaft but usually pretty clean under there.

Old 02-04-17, 01:38 PM
I
Thanks all. No she does not use fabric softener. I'll take a closer look at the tub and also the agitator. I was thinking of just replacing the tub, but she's 15 years old and I'm wondering how easy a job that is. I have had the cover off the washer a few years ago to replace the water inlet solenoid assembly, so I have some basic knowledge of how it comes apart.
Thanks

Old 02-04-17, 02:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Kenmore (sears) You have a lifetime warranty on tub if chips or rusts. Here is a manual with warranty info. May have to input model #
KENMORE Residential Washers Owner's Manual, KENMORE Residential Washers installation guide | L0305286 | Shop Your Way: Online Shopping & Earn Points on Tools, Appliances, Electronics & more
Basket is covered but not labor. Not hard to change as long as it comes apart. Had one where I could not get apart for anything. Had to replace almost everything in washer to fix. Customer had service agreement and company said to fix it. Cost twice what washer was worth.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: