Dryer Plug : 3 prong vs 4 prong

Old 03-12-17, 09:43 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dryer Plug : 3 prong vs 4 prong

We moved houses recently and,

On my older electric dryer I replaced the old 3 prong electric plug with the newer style 4 prong plug.

My question: Inside the dryer, the plug neutral was also connected to the dryer body (as it should be in a 3 prong setup). Now that I installed the 4 prong plug, should I DISCONNECT the dryer body from the white wire and connect the body ONLY to the green plug wire?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-17, 09:54 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
That is correct. The ground should be the only path from the body. The neutral is needed to operate the electronics.

Old 03-12-17, 10:33 AM
T
Ok. Thanks.
It was a little confusing because the dryer has a short green wire connecting the white central terminal to the dryer body. Now in order to not leave this short green wire dangling Iíll have to connect it to the white central terminal together with the white wire coming from the plug. So the center neutral terminal at the dryer will have this short green wire that loops and connects onto itself. I would disconnect that short green wire but itís difficult because it is pressed together with the white dryer wire right there at the terminal. I could cut this green wire very short (as close to the terminal as I can) but donít want to do that in case I have to convert back to a 3 prong sometime in the future.

Old 03-12-17, 10:37 AM
Group Moderator
Received 920 Votes on 860 Posts
Keeping the loop on the neutral terminal is ok.

Old 03-12-17, 04:33 PM
T
Thank you all.

I did as suggested, keeping the short loop (in case I have to revert to 3 prong plug) and the dryer now works fine with the 4 prong plug.