Whirlpool dryer not starting

Old 04-06-17, 02:17 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Whirlpool dryer not starting

Hello. I'm trying to figure out a problem with a Whirlpool M460-G dryer. I suspect it's a temperature sensor/regulator problem, but some pointers would be appreciated.

The first problem occurred a few days ago. There was a rather heavy load in the dryer. I opened it to check the progress, decided to give it a few more minutes, and attempted to restart. Nothing happened when I hit the start button. After a few minutes I tried again and it restarted. So, I fugured maybe it was a temporary overheating and that it resumed working once the temperature went down again.

Now it won't start at all. The timer clicks down the time and appears to progress normally, but it won't start otherwise. The drum light turns on. I've removed the rear panels and cleaned everything (some lint, about $2 in dimes- nice!) without improving anything. Still won't start. I'm leaning toward one of the temperature regulators or thermostats being the problem since both occurrences were after fairly heavy (the upper end of reasonably-size, so to speak) loads. I'm not sure how to determine which one, though.

So, my questions...

1) Any pointers on how to diagnose this?
2) Can I test the temperature regulators (I think there are 3 of them) by disconnecting the wires leading into each regulator, temporarily joining the wires (clipping together with alligator clips, for example), and seeing if the dryer starts? Is that safe to do, and does it have diagnostic value? I would make and unmake the connections with that circuit turned off at the breaker, of course.

I'm generally ok, but slow, with reading circuit diagrams, but am not sure what's a safe way of troubleshooting parts. Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-17, 04:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 58 Posts
Need model # Open door and sticker will have it. Thermostats will not cause a no run condition. Thermal fuse, door switch are the most common problems.

Old 04-06-17, 08:55 PM
T
Thanks for the reply. This is a model LER7646EQ2, type no. 178-00. I have attached a circuit diagram. It appears that it shouldn't be too tough to replace the thermal fuse, although some additional digging may be needed to access it. Is there a way to distinguish between the door switch and the thermal fuse? For example, if I can see that the drum lamp is turned off from the back of the dryer with the rear panel removed, does that mean that the door switch is working properly? My reading of the curcuit diagram says yes, but I'm not the best at reading those.

Again, thanks for the help. It is greatly appreciated.

Name:  20170406_211644.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  26.1 KB

Old 04-07-17, 04:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Most common problem is thermal fuse. Take back off 2 blue wires on left side. fuse should have continuity, Door switch lift top not sure color of wires but one side will have continuity with door closed and the other side will have continuity with door open. Each side checked to white wire from switch.
If thermal fuse bad be sure to clean vent to the outside or you will be doing this again. Air flow should be same from back of dryer to outside.

Old 04-07-17, 04:45 PM
T
Thank you for the help. It's now working well. It took a little phone work to track down a fuse, but it's doing great now. I also took apart the lint catch and outlet and cleaned them and vacuumed everything out carefully but thoroughly. I found several nails (?!?) and some more nicely-laundered money. Thanks again.

Old 04-07-17, 05:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thanks for the update, keep the vent to the outside clean and dryer will work for many years.