Maytag dishwasher-touchpad issues-replaced touchpad/control board and panel

Old 04-09-17, 11:50 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Maytag dishwasher-touchpad issues-replaced touchpad/control board and panel

Model: Maytag Name:  20170409_144722.jpg
Views: 5611
Size:  30.6 KBmdb7749sbm3

The dishwasher is 3 years old. About 6 months ago, we started having issues with the touchpad. Now, it only works when I press "normal", but the lights that light up are:
auto clean (button right next to normal)
rinse only
steam/sanitize
delay 2 hours

I tried to enter into diagnostic by hitting "heated dry" and then "normal". When I do that, the above lights light up.

We replaced the touchpad and panel. It did the same thing, so my husband took out the new part and put the old one in. For 2 cycles, the dishwasher responded when I pressed the other buttons. Now, it's back to the problems.

We just replace the control board and it didn't change anything.

What else can it be? I thought that replacing these would definitely correct the problem.

TIA!

Old 04-09-17, 12:39 PM
C
Received 29 Votes on 24 Posts
Is there a little flat cable between the keypad and control board? Was it replaced? If not, look carefully at the contact areas on the cable, they may be corroded or just dirty.

Old 04-09-17, 02:24 PM
There is a cable. I will have my husband check it out. It would be great if that was the fix.

Thank you! I will report back.

Old 04-09-17, 04:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,978 Votes on 2,686 Posts
Maytag and their keypad problems (I've got one too)

There are two parts. The keypad and the control board.
The keypad has the ribbon cable attached to it and it plugs in or connects to the control board.

A typical problem is with the ribbon cable going bad forcing the customer to buy the entire keypad assembly.

It is possible that your ribbon cable is dirty where it plugs into the board. You can unplug it and gently clean it with a pencil eraser.

Old 04-09-17, 05:46 PM
Pete,

If the ribbon/cable is the problem and it cannot be fixed, where can you find a new one? I've tried searching several websites. We purchased the touchpad panel and the control board from the repair clinic site, which allows for return, but I cannot find the ribbon?

Any suggestions? I think my husband is dreading taking that front panel off again. This is so frustrating!

Thanks for the response. No more Maytags for us.

Remember the days when large appliances lasted 10+ years. No more

eta I don't remember if the keypad had a new ribbon attached? I don't think so. It makes sense that that's one of the only parts that left...

Old 04-10-17, 04:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Votes on 69 Posts
Ribbon cable usually part of either touch pad or control board. Most likely part of touch pad.

Old 04-10-17, 05:59 AM
C
Searspartsdirect shows a cable as a separate item. Can't tell for certain from the diagram that it runs between keypad and control board, but it looks like it does.

Old 04-10-17, 06:28 AM
The cable was not part of the touch control panel and the control board that we received.

On the sears website, the only thing I found which could be the ribbon (couldn't find it by search term) was: Dishwasher User Interface Wire Harness

MAYTAG DISHWASHER Parts | Model MDB4949SDM3 | Sears PartsDirect under control panel

Thanks so much for the responses I think I'll try to take it apart after work tonight.

Old 04-10-17, 08:14 AM
C
That link is to a different model number dishwasher than you listed above. But the control panel page is where I saw the cable...just make sure you are looking at the right model no.

Old 04-10-17, 09:00 AM
Group Moderator
I'm seeing W10811166 as one of the keypad assemblies. The part number is dependent on color of the main housing. The keypad, housing and ribbon cable appear to come as one assembly.

Name:  keypad.jpg
Views: 2634
Size:  21.9 KB

In the picture you can see where the ribbon cable plugs in. That may be where cleaning is needed.

Old 04-16-17, 06:36 AM
Update:

We took it apart again. The ribbon on the control panel has discoloration, but after looking up the part, when we replaced the control panel, it had a new ribbon. If it was the ribbon, it would have worked with the new control panel.

We also replaced the control board and that didn't work.

Any ideas of what else it could be? It has to be the control panel, but if we replaced the whole thing and the white cords that connect it to the control board, why doesn't it work?

Thanks in advance!Name:  control panel.jpg
Views: 3283
Size:  18.2 KB

Last edited by 3-redheads; 04-16-17 at 06:43 AM. Reason: added photo
Old 04-16-17, 07:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Votes on 69 Posts
Can't really tell but where cable is discolored it looks burnt?

Old 04-16-17, 08:08 AM
It's really difficult to tell if it's burnt. There's no residue to scrape off of the outside and no way to unplug it from the control panel.

What I can't figure out is a new control panel, with the ribbon should have fixed the issue when we replaced it.

Perplexed!

Old 04-16-17, 11:49 AM
Group Moderator
In that picture.... is that the new keypad and ribbon cable ?
That does not look good. That looks like corrosion and that can cause problems.

I'm away today but did you locate the tech sheet for the unit ?
It should be behind the kick plate below the door. It may be folded up and in a bag.

I believe it tells you how to test the system without the keypad. It may be.... you turn power off. Unplug the keypad. Power the unit back up. It should start up in pump drain mode. You'd have to listen as there are no lights to look at. That would indicate a good control board and problems in the keypad.

Old 04-16-17, 01:23 PM
Pete,

That's the old keypad. I'll get my husband to look for the specs.

Odd thing...again. After we took the picture and he put the old keypad back on, the keypad worked ONE TIME.

Thank you! I'll report back what we find.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: