Electrolux Icon Fridge ice build-up bottom on freezer side

Old 04-19-17, 01:13 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Electrolux Icon Fridge ice build-up bottom on freezer side

MODEL: E23CS78EPS0 ELECTROLUX Side-by-Side Refrigerator

Hey Guys, so before starting this thread, I did a little homework first using youtube tutorials, as well as searching this site. There is ice build up at the bottom on the freezer side. I was hoping it's simply a "clogged condensation drain line" as described by PJMAX in an older thread. I do see ice build up at the bottom of the freezer, as well as at the plate where the water would drain. I removed all the ice and poured hot water down this drain. Today, there is ice build up again at the drain as well as at the bottom. I have a flexible coiled bendy tool thingymagig that is about 16 inches long, I was able to poke this entire thing into the drain hole. So there doesn't seem to be any blockage.

What else could cause ice buildup at that drain plate, as well as at the bottom of the freezer if there is no blockage?

Thank you for your time.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-17, 01:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 340 Votes on 318 Posts
The drain is directly under the evaporator coil. Is that where you poured the hot water in ?

When you do pour water into the drain... go easy as there is only a small drain pan under the fridge that could overflow with a lot of water at one time.

Old 04-19-17, 05:34 PM
Yep, under the coil. When I did it yesterday, I did not go easy. LOL! For newbie reasons, I thought the drain must be connected to some pipe that leads outside the house. But now I know it only goes to a little pan and then evaporates. But luckily I did not experience any leaking or flooding of the pan. Mostly because when I was pouring the hot water, most of the water did not go down the drain, it would sit at the drain plate. I would then vacuum the water with my wet vac. Then I would pour hot water again, then vacuum the excess, pour, vacuum, etc.

But like I said, today, there was still ice build up at the plate under the coil, and at the bottom of the freezer. I was able to stick a 16" flexible rod inside the drain hose, so I don't think there is any ice blockage. So what could be causing the ice-build up at the drain plate under the coil?

Old 04-19-17, 05:49 PM
Group Moderator
If you're pouring the water and it's not going anywhere and you are sucking it back up..... you've got a clog. Any water you poured in should have gone down.

It may not necessarily be where your short flexible rod can reach.
I carry a syringe bulb and sometimes send the hot water down under pressure.

Name:  syringe.jpg
Views: 670
Size:  1.4 KB
This one is blue.... mine is red.

Old 04-20-17, 12:09 PM
PJMax, is it normal to have a little ice build up on the plate under the coil? Today, there is no ice on the bottom of the freezer, but there is a little buildup at the plate under the coil. The build up does not cover the hole though, it's on one side of the plate.

Could a freezer set to too cold cause it to not have enough time drain away and therefore build up? Should I increase the temperature of the freezer?

Old 04-20-17, 12:19 PM
Group Moderator
It could be normal to have some ice there. When the unit goes into defrost.... the hot water is supposed to melt any small amounts of ice in the pan.

Every fridge has it's little quirks.
You could try raising the freezer temp a few degrees to see what happens.

Old 05-30-17, 02:56 PM
I think my fridge may have been finally rectified today. We got these rigid plastic tubes about a quarter in in diameter and pushed it down the drain hose. It would always stop at a certain point. Working in reverse was the same way, it would stop at a certain point. So I decided to just pull out the hose away from the drain pan. I knew it was going to be a pain in the buttocks to work that hose back to the drain pan location, but I'm glad I did. We found a kink as well as debris, probably caused by the fan and years of accumulation. With the help of my wife, we somehow managed to work the hose back to the drain pan location. Right at the drain pan, there is a plastic housing with a hole, just big enough for the hose to pass through, so I don't know how we did it, but we managed to get it back in that hole. This is a picture of the back of our fridge. It was a PITA to work around all that stuff. How do the pros do it? Do they dismantle all those parts to clear way? Well, knock on wood...

Name:  back of fridge.jpg
Views: 1133
Size:  38.5 KB

Old 05-30-17, 03:34 PM
Group Moderator
A kink will certainly do it.

It is tough working under those things. It's even harder under a dishwasher.

Nice and clean down there. You vacuumed before the picture..... right.

Old 05-30-17, 04:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
That why are arms and hands are all scared up. Lot of sharp edges.

Old 05-30-17, 06:03 PM
Hehe, no I didn't vacuum. It is dirty, just doesn't show well in the picture.

Old 05-30-17, 08:49 PM
Group Moderator
Be sure to keep it clean. The easier the unit can dump the heat.... the less it costs to run.