Basement flood, dryer's dead - is there a reset?

Old 04-22-17, 06:58 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Basement flood, dryer's dead - is there a reset?

We had about 6" of water flood our basement and the dryer will not start. I can hear clicks when i turn the timer, but it will not start when i hit the start button.

I removed the back panel, nothing obviously wrong. I removed the blower fan cover and the fan does not turn easily.

KitchenAid KEYS750JQ0. Definitely an older dryer but would like to limp it along for a another year or whatever.

Is there a reset or something else i should try?

Thanks!

Old 04-22-17, 07:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Votes on 69 Posts
Blower wheel turns hard sounds like motor is bound up. Blower is directly connected to motor.
Here is a diagram of dryer
KITCHENAID ELECTRIC DRYER Parts | Model KEYS750JQ0 | Sears PartsDirect

Old 04-22-17, 07:07 AM
Group Moderator
Received 942 Votes on 860 Posts
Did you check the breaker?

Old 04-22-17, 07:18 AM
A
Good comments guys. Yes, the breaker is OK - the light inside the dryer comes on.

Thanks for the diagrams, pugsl - that helps. I wasn't sure if that fan should spin freely or not.

Probably time for a new dryer...

Old 04-22-17, 08:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
That is a good dryer, Motor about 100$ and not to hard to change. Usually have to cut blower wheel off and replace also. Can give directions on how.
I just googled motor # and found prices from aroumd 40.00 up. Here is part #
Blower wheel part # from 5.00 up About 10 to 15 % chance of it coming off without cutting.

Old 04-22-17, 10:05 AM
A
pugsl - that's great! Thanks for the info. Yes, if you could share the "how to do it" i would appreciate that very much.

Old 04-22-17, 12:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You have the back and blower cover off already? Flat stiff putty knife between front and top and pry up, Top will pop of clips and lift. leave dryer about a foot from wall so top can lean there. 2 screws holding front on one on each side inside. Unplug lid switch and take front off. Reach inside and take belt off (look how it is threaded) Lift drum out 7/8 socket on front of motor and a crescent wrench in back on square plastic stub of blower.(about 1 inch) Left hand threads here so be sure to turn right to loosen. Usually blower will not come off, if so go to back get a large hammer and chisel and break center of blower out All blower must come off as there is a small hole motor pulls out. Spring clip on front and back of motor. I use a large screwdriver to push clip down to take off and install.
Let us know if ny problems. I always get motor and blower wheel when I get parts.

Old 04-23-17, 09:29 AM
A
That's awesome! Thanks for taking the time to write that up. Time to get parts on order!

Old 04-23-17, 10:20 AM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
I have done this thanks to Pugsl, the biggest PITA is getting the fan wheel off. I had to make a second trip to buy one as I didn't know it would not budge. I used an oscillating saw to cut the fan blades off. the rest is pretty easy and straight forward.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: