whirlpool cabrio not spinning

Old 05-20-17, 11:40 AM
D
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
whirlpool cabrio not spinning

We have a Model WTW5600XW2 washer. A couple months ago it started sounding like a jet engine when spinning(not an F16 more like an A10 ) I replaced the transmission and it worked for awhile but now it won't spin. The problem of not spinning did happen some times in the weeks before the transmission was replaced, and is intermittent. Sometimes setting it to "Rinse and Spin" will get it to spin.
Any thoughts?
Dave

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-17, 07:40 PM
B
Received 73 Votes on 64 Posts
Did you replace the clutch assembly when you replaced the gear case? The tub can not spin faster than designed. It will spin slower if the belt is slipping or low voltage to the motor.
On most machines, the tub must drain at least 50 percent of the fill volume before a spin command is processed. The spin command is based on the water level sensor and the timer. You will need the wiring diagram and timer cycle chart (a copy should be glued somewhere inside the cabinet) and a multimeter to verify all electrical components necessary for spin have correct voltage.

Old 05-21-17, 05:49 AM
D
Thanks for your reply Beelzebob. There was no water in the tub when it wouldn't spin yesterday. I found and downloaded the service manual last night, so i have the wiring diagram and timer cycle chart. I thought the clutch was included with the gearcase, but now I remember playing with the old one, and the clutch wasn't on it. I Hope I can get to the wiring at the so sensors can be checked from one location while running.
If I get a chance I will work on it after work some night, otherwise it will be saturday before I get a chance.

DG

Old 05-21-17, 09:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 58 Posts
Most likely the bearing went out. Can you turn the basket by hand and if so does it feel smooth when turning? If bearing is real bad it might not turn also. Here is a diagram of washer and part# 8 through 10 is the bearing.
WHIRLPOOL WASHER Parts | Model WTW5600XW2 | Sears PartsDirect

Old 05-22-17, 04:27 PM
D
Thanks Pugsl
Is that part of the clutch? And is the clutch one assembly? Or can you just get the bearing.
It happened again today. When I got home from work I turned the power on and ran Drain & Spin. It worked an spun the load. but every time you do a load it stops before the final spin.
I checked and found it was way out of level. I leveled it. I remember having to run some calibration after I replaced the gear box. when I find it in the manual I'm going to run that and try another load.
One time my wife said the lock light was blinking when she had trouble. I don't know if that means anything, but I thought I'd throw it out there.
I'll get back after this load. If it does it again I'll try turning the basket manually and see how it feels.
Thanks
DG

Old 05-22-17, 05:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Blinking lights usually mean a error code. Inside the front panel there is a tech sheet (I think) To get to it you have to lift top. 2 screws in hinge and top will slide forward and lift up. Don't slide it to far forward or it will stick on clamps.

Old 05-23-17, 04:15 PM
D
Thanks it will probably be Saturday before I have the time to get into it.

Don't slide it to far forward or it will stick on clamps.
I learned that the hard way, when I changed the gear box.
Good reminder I would have forgotten.

DG

Old 05-23-17, 04:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Does the basket feel smooth when turning by hand? If bearing are going bad it will feel rough and make noise when spinning. Will be on road all day tomorrow.

Old 05-25-17, 03:23 AM
D
The basket is smooth when turning. The bearings that support the basket are part of the gearbox on this model.
Is the clutch a normal wear and tear item? I'm thinking I should pick up a clutch before Saturday. I know the belt is good.
DG

Old 05-25-17, 08:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Can't remember ever replacing clutch but have replaced many shifters.

Old 05-29-17, 04:42 AM
D
I connected a meter across the shifter switch and one on the lock switch. the two components most accused of causing the not spinning thing. I couldn't see any time when they or ant other components failed to work. Using the manual test mode or the automatic test mode, everything worked without fail.

What i did find was if I tried to run "drain & spin" it would work some times. If I ran "rinse & spin" when it came to the spin cycle it would just sit there and do nothing. But when I push pause, and start it would pump out any water left and spin.

So yesterday while a load was running when it got to the spin cycle I hit pause, and start and it went into a spin cycle. This works every time. I think the control is bad. It seems to me pausing the control would not change any of the inputs, so I can't think of a reason pausing, and starting would make it work, other than a bad controller.

This also explains why my wife would have trouble, and not get it to work when trying "drain and spin". When I come home from work I would try it but if it didn't work I was hitting the pause and trying start again. I would always get it to work.

Does this sound like a control problem? I hate to spend on expensive parts and find I didn't need them. I know I needed the gear box and this problem started before I changed that.

thanks DG

Old 05-29-17, 05:10 AM
D
I forgot to mention the error codes.
I had F7 E1, F7 E5, and F7 E7.

DG

Old 05-29-17, 06:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If the buttons won't accept input than user interface, If washer doesn't run right but input works than control board. Part # can be found here under console.
WHIRLPOOL WASHER Parts | Model WTW5600XW2 | Sears PartsDirect
I always copy and paste part # in a search to find best price. Always but from a dealer with 1 year return.
I don't have a tech sheet to check codes.

Old 05-30-17, 03:18 AM
D
Yesterday in the afternoon I had left meters on the lid and lock switches, and noticed the lock switch still had 120v after I heard it lock. I'm going to change the lock. The switch must be intermittent. I see that all the time at work.

Thanks again I'll let you know what happens.
DG

Old 06-07-17, 03:12 AM
D
Surrender

The lid lock didn't fix the problem. I decided to cut my losses and replace the machine. They even delivered the same day.

Thanks again for your help http://icons.iconarchive.com/icons/i.../beer-icon.png

DG