Dishwasher getting water and food particles when using sink.

Old 05-27-17, 11:01 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dishwasher getting water and food particles when using sink.

BOSCH: SHX33A05UC/21

Hey Guys,

So recently I replaced the water inlet valve for my Bosch dishwasher and got it up and running. But I'm having a different issue now. It's washing and draining fine, but when we're using the sink to wash dishes, the dishwasher would collect water at the bottom and tiny food particles, and so it smells.

We have a double sink, one side has the garbage disposal. I'm not sure exactly the chain of events that's causing this to the dishwasher, but my wife thinks it's when she uses the sing for long periods, and the garbage disposal. We've used the drain unclogging products every time. But the problem keeps coming back after several days.

Again, the dishwasher seems to be functioning properly. It will completely wash and drain. The problem is when we're using the sinks, it causes the dishwasher to get water at the bottom and stinks. BTW, I do see youtube videos suggesting how the drain hose should be installed high. Ours isn't very high, doesn't seem like any special attention was paid to it. But I can't imagine, the answer is that simple. Hang a hook, and let the drain hose hang high? Completely replace it? What about the P-Trap, should that be taken apart and investigated?

Thank you for your time... again.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-17, 03:30 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Is the drain hose from the dishwasher attached to an air valve, or is it at least looped higher than the disposer and attached under the countertop? If you don't have that loop, you are likely to have backflow into the dishwasher when the sink is drained, and especially when the disposer is used. You can post a picture of your set up under the sink, and we can better advise you what to do. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 05-28-17, 08:34 AM
But I can't imagine, the answer is that simple. Hang a hook, and let the drain hose hang high?
As Larry said, the answer is that simple, a high loop. In CA you are required to have an air gap by plumbing code.
Here's a job I did. Notice the corrugated 5/8" ID hose goes up to the air gap and down to disposer using a 7/8" ID disposer hose. The dishwasher will not drain properly without the vacuum break.

It's also important the 7/8" hose doesn't have a dip, the dip will collect water and stink.

Name:  airgaphoses.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  29.4 KB

Old 05-28-17, 10:35 AM
Name:  under the cabinet.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  29.4 KB

Here's a picture inside the cabinet. The drain hose is attached directly to the disposal. It was like that since we bought the house in 2009.

Are there different length drain hoses on the market? I thought if the high loop is universally known by installers then the hose should be long enough, but I pulled on the drain hose and there doesn't seem to be any slack. Do I need a new hose? Also, might as well install Air Gap to be up to code?

Last edited by moctodyid; 05-28-17 at 10:53 AM.
Old 05-28-17, 11:17 AM
Your problem is definitely the dip in the hose just before where the hose connects to disposer.
Please post a picture of the sink top to see if there is room for an air gap, ideally it will be on the left side.
If nothing else detach the hose, raise it as high as possible and secure it to the bottom of the counter, and then come straight down into disposer with no bellies or dips.

Name:  Air_gap2-646x335.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  20.1 KB

Old 05-28-17, 11:36 AM
Yeah, there is no other available hose in the granite. There was one other that was used for a hand nozzle, which we replaced with a water filter unit.

There isn't much slack, and I would like the loop higher. Is it okay to disconnect the hose from the disposal end, connect to one or two extensions, make the loop, then reconnect? I saw this BOSCH EXTENSION on Amazon.

Old 05-28-17, 12:04 PM
Well, for the time being, no air gap, no drain hose extensions...

I unplugged the hose and made as high of a loop as possible. Used velcro to keep the loop tight, so gravity doesn't spring it back out and pull to the floor.

What do you guys think? This should work?

Name:  under the cabinet after.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  28.5 KB

Old 05-28-17, 12:18 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
As long as you didn't restrict the flow in the loop, at least it is above the drains. It should work until it can be done right, and it may do so, now. See if it helps with the dishwasher trash return.

Old 05-28-17, 12:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 255 Votes on 240 Posts
That's better than it was.
The idea is to keep the top of the loop at the highest point the water could ever reach.

The original hoses are pretty long. Yours may have been cut during the original install.

Old 05-28-17, 01:17 PM
You will see a vast improvement even though you don't have the required air gap.

Once you see the unit is draining fine I would recommend running a product called dishwasher magic. The cleaner will brighten the inside of the dishwasher and clean the hose.

Old 05-30-17, 01:26 PM
Magic dishwasher also purchased. Will report back on progress! Thank you.