Temporary fix for refigerator cooling fan

Old 06-14-17, 03:50 PM
J
JOB
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Temporary fix for refigerator cooling fan

FYI, I have a 21 year old 20.8 cu/ft refrigerator/freeezer, the ice maker stopped recently and the refigerator failed to keep things cold.

I checked for blockage on the air intake and found the cooling fan for the condensor had failed (the shaft won't turn).

I could get a new fan motor from Amazon for $40.00 plus dollars, local distributor didn't have.

I elected to by a new refrigerator from Lowes as it was slightly cheaper than Home Depot with my 5% discount card.

Heres the problem new refrigerator not due for two weeks, being a cheap sob didn't want to buy a new fan only to dispose of the old refrigerator.

Soultion: I removed the old fan and simply put a house fan facing the back of the refrigerator, the freezer is now 5 degrees and the frig is 39 and falling.

Not rocket science but it will work for two weeks. I couldn't put good money into a 21 year old frig (I'm as cheap as the next guy but this didn't seem cost efficent).

Hope this helps
JOB

Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-17, 05:17 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 530 Votes on 487 Posts
I have resurrected more than one dead fan motor by lubricating the bearings if bearings seizing was the cause. Getting some WD-40 into the bearings and turning the fan by hand to work it in can be enough to get them working again. If the motor is burned out then this doesn't work.