GE top load GTW485 drain and spin

Old 06-16-17, 09:31 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GE top load GTW485 drain and spin

Hi all,
I have a GE GTW485 that was actually given to me free (not sure if thats a good thing yet or not).. when i got it it would not advance from wash to drain or spin. If i turned it to the drain or spin function it started the beginning of a new wash..
So, I pulled out the lid switch, was able to dissassemble it, noticed that the contacts were not touching at all (it had no continuity before i ever pulled it apart) so i fixed the contacts, checked out the electromagnetic in it, everything seemed fine. put it back on, nothing... so i pulled out the pump, it tested fine, no blockage, out it back on and it would drain but not spin.
pulled off the pressure switch tube, not blocked, not water in it. put it back on, nothing..
went through diagnostics, it pulled several codes, ill post them in a few when i got back in and recheck, but now back to not draining or spinning.
ive already done the lid reset for the motor, didnt work.
now the last few times I have tested it trying a quick wash when it gets to where it should drain and spin I hear i guess the best way to explain it is like it sounds like something around the motor is trying to engage, but it doesnt sound healthy at all, almost a grind, then after a few seconds it go right back to wash (agitation)
most of the codes it is popping up are lid switch and pressure switch, but they both have tested fine.. so im at a loss....
thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-17, 02:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 58 Posts
Don't know how much help washer came out just before I retired. I had replaced many shifters but that doesn't sound like your problem. It sounds like control board is bad. Codes and what they say might help.
Some GE washer free to to costly.

Old 06-17-17, 03:10 PM
R
Im beginning to think they should have paid me to take it...
here are the codes.
lock monitor
pressure sensor loss
lid lock failure
out of balance during dry load sense
critical lid lock
lid logic failure
pressure sensor dropout

Old 06-17-17, 03:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Tbat many codes sounds like control board. See one in Ebay for 79 with 3 day return, I would look for with a year return return in case it is not problem. Part # WH18X24935

Old 06-17-17, 11:45 PM
R
yeah im kinda thinking the same.
is there any way you know of to test the board? i noticed theres a cat5 plug on the back of the board, can this thing be connected online for diagnostics??
who the heck decided that washing machines needes to be nore computerized than the space shuttle....

Old 06-18-17, 02:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thank the EPA for that abortion and most modern washers. No idea why they put that port on board as they never released any way to use it in the field.

Old 06-18-17, 08:31 AM
R
well, that figures. lol. ok thanks for the advice. have a good one.

Old 06-18-17, 10:55 PM
R
ok, another inquiry... how does the mode switch on this thing work?.. i mentioned heard a grindy like clicking noise when it should be starting its spin.. well i fliooed it on its side (cause on this model the whole damn bidy is rivited to the frame so theres no taking the front panel off) and i pulled off the belt. i noticed that the pulley on the shifter seems to move forward more than it should, basically if you push the gear that geabs the pully to spin the bucket, even after i pushed it on i was able to push the pull forward enough to pull it away from the gear..
these mode switches look like they have some kind of actuator or something that spins and releases the tension on the arms holding the "engage gear" to push that gear on to the pully, is that how this works??? what ever happened to motors and transmissions??...

Old 06-19-17, 03:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Can't remember how they worked but I have replaced a lot of them. Only work on that type about a year before I retired. Whirlpool and GE look about the same and work the same. Can't remember if parts interchanged.

Old 06-19-17, 12:09 PM
R
yeah i noticed that when looking up some videos that they seem to be the same.. heck lasr night i tried a load and it wouldnt drain, so luckily its right by the back door, so i pulled the hose, stuck it out the back door to drain, it drained for about 2 min and all the sudden the pump kicked on and started draining.. so now im second guessing the pump. but with everything that its doing i think you may be right with tye control board.. time to store this one and look into another i guess.
thanks for the help

Old 06-19-17, 01:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If I remember right pressure switch is part of control board. Sound like it kicked in and drained.