Maytag Washer LAT4916AAE not spinning, belt smell

Old 06-18-17, 09:43 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Maytag Washer LAT4916AAE not spinning, belt smell

The washer fills, agitates, and drains just fine. The motor and lid switch are working. New belts, motor springs, and glides.

With the belts removed, I can turn the pully in the agitate direction (CCW I think) without a lot of effort. I can turn it in the spin direction, but it takes a lot of effort. The transmission and the inner drum do turn. My sister has a similar Maytag. I tried turning her pully and it turned in both directions with very little effort, so I have some idea of how it should work.

Does the fact that it agitates mean the transmission is good (fingers crossed)?

Is it likely that one or more bearings are starting to seize? If so, which are the most likely? I've spent hours watching videos. It looks like the bearing above the brake is fairly easy to replace, although a rather expensive tool is needed to remove the brake. Is that a good place to start? I'm not in a big rush because I can use my sister's machine.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I like the machine and don't want to replace it. I'm leaning towards replacing the transmission if I have to. I hear a lot of bad things about the newer machines.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-17, 11:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 58 Posts
Sounds like your clutch, brake assy is going bad. Worked on washer for many years and never had one of those apart. Here is a diagram with assy
MAYTAG MAYTAG LAUNDRY Parts | Model LAT4916AAE | Sears PartsDirect
clutch, brake is the silver ball on bottom of transmission.
Look under clutch. Part # 5. I carried that special tool on my truck till I retired and never used it. part # 17 Brake is sticking on and is causing your problem. You have one of the oldie but goodie.

Old 06-18-17, 03:03 PM
J
Thanks for the reply!

When you say you never used the special tool, do you mean there is another method to remove and replace the brake assembly? I saw one forum post that said a chain visegrip tool can be used. Is that how you did it?

Old 06-19-17, 03:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I mean I never took that clutch apart. The cost to customers usually was more than machine was worth. Washer is well worth repairing DIY. That washer is a old work horse. To bad that washer was not about a year newer it had a different clutch that was east to fix.

Old 06-23-17, 08:15 AM
J
I replaced the clutch brake assembly and still have the same symptoms. Agitate works, but spin doesn't. It appears that something is causing the spin drum to lock up. It isn't locked up completely, but it is very hard to turn it.

Am I correct in assuming that the transmission is probably okay because agitate works?

Should I try replacing the tub bearing?

Old 06-23-17, 09:17 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Not sure about that one but does the tub lift when you turn pulley in spin direction? Later models it did been so long since I worked on your type can't remember. Part 15, 18 under clutch in diagram may be the ramp that lifts the clutch off brake. If it is that part need to have a lot of grease on ti. I can't tell from diagram but when you take it off it should have a ramp on top side. At least that is how the next years worked. Just talked to another tech who still works and he thinks it has the ramp also. If it has ramp you should be able to see transmission lift a little when pulley turned in spin direction.

Old 06-23-17, 12:15 PM
J
When I turn the pulley in the spin direction the transmission does not lift at all.

Old 06-23-17, 01:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Take the grease cap off the pulley and see if dry. Needs to have a lot of grease between plastic parts.

Old 06-23-17, 03:04 PM
J
It looks to me like there is a lot of grease under the grease cap.

Old 06-30-17, 04:38 PM
J
The problem was the tub bearing. It was almost completely seized. I installed a tub bearing kit, and a mounting stem repair kit. The machine is running like new.

Old 07-01-17, 02:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't think I have ever seen that bearing go bad on that washer.