Frigidaire front load washer door rubber boot

Old 06-23-17, 08:50 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Frigidaire front load washer door rubber boot

Or bellows, rubber mold, whatever it's called. It's basically a seal that doubles as a bearing surface for the front of the spin tub. Do these stretch over time? Talking 14 years here.. I took one off to replace something else in the washer and now it won't fit on the lip of the steel tub because of what seems like extra 3 inches of material around the circumference. Has anyone run into this? Time for a new one? Appreciate any info.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-17, 09:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 56 Posts
Does not go on steel basket it goes in plastic tub. Post model # and can tell you how to do it. If it is the type I think it usually took 2 men to put on.

Old 06-23-17, 09:37 AM
M
It's a Kenmore, rebadged Frigidaire. the Kenmore model is 417.42142100. The front of the plastic tub? Do tell me please. It has a spring that pops on the boot once it's in place. The door side of the boot was glued to the front panel.

Old 06-23-17, 09:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
When you said glued I knew which one you have. Replacement boot comes with a spring for also instead of glue. 1st before you spend a lot of time turn basket by hand. it should be quiet and feel smooth. If nosily of feels rough it needs a rear bearing and washer is past prime. I am really surprised it is still running. Diagram at end of post under tub, part 13 is plastic tub and the lip in front is where boot goes. I had some rubber plugs to jam in to help hold spring on but usually took 2 men to install spring. After spring is on rest is easy. glue is not needed but a few drops around edge won't hurt.
let me know if you need more help, Have done many of them.
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/mode...m=417.42142100

Old 06-23-17, 10:00 AM
M
Thank you, Sir. Makes sense, don't know how I missed that. Ironic you mentioned the seal and bearings, that's exactly what this project was about. In my haste I tore everything down so quickly I didn't pay attention to details. Will try again as soon as I get home and report back. Thanks again.

Old 06-23-17, 10:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Am surprised you fixed it. Factory repair has you replacing rear tub and usually basket. I have found most baskets have a groove worn in them where bearings go and are bad. Baskets are usually lifetime warranty. Tubs 10 year no labor tho. We did not do them without replacing basket after we found out problems.

Old 06-23-17, 10:33 AM
M
I'm surprised myself. Initially, I broke it down thinking it'd be easier to haul out of the basement. Next thing I know, I'm ordering bearings, didn't even think about the warranty. The shaft was fine. The bronze bushing that the seal slides over was slightly grooved , but the spring loaded seal lip should take care of that. The cast hub is heavily pitted but still strong. I can see how a tech would not tackle this job though. Bearings are not spare parts and it's just too time consuming.

Old 06-23-17, 06:25 PM
M
Many thanks, pugsl. The washer is up and running great.