GE Profile PFE28RSHESS refrigerator freezer working fridge not cooling

Old 07-04-17, 04:11 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GE Profile PFE28RSHESS refrigerator freezer working fridge not cooling

GE Profile PFE28RSHESS refrigerator.

So my son left the freezer open while I was at work a couple weeks ago and I got home and a lot of stuff was thawed out (ice cream, frozen veggies, ground beef, etc). Also ice was all melted in top and bottom ice makers. So I cleaned everything up and closed the freezer thinking everything was ok.

At first the ice machines were not working. Then I had to leave to Arizona for about ten days. We came back and the water dispenser would not work nor was the ice working. I pulled the fridge out and opened up the back panel after unplugging it. The back panel and condenser were both caked in dust and pet hair. So I took a vacuum to both and got them as clean as I could. So I decided to put everything into a cooler and thawed the fridge out for about 10 hours. Got home from work, plugged it in, and the water dispenser was working . Waited several hours and noticed the ice maker was now making ice, both top and bottom. Had the freezer temp set to 0 degrees and the fridge to 37 degrees. Freezer got down to 0 degrees like I set it but the fridge temp is around 57-59 degrees. It just will not cool down.

Also, the display on the fridge to set and see current temps was working but now it will not respond to touch. I tried unplugging the fridge for 8 minutes hoping that would reset it but it did not work. I didn't mess with the motherboard at all and after I cleaned all the dust out of the back it was still working. But its like it just stopped responding to the touch for no reason, but it is still lit up and I can use push buttons for water, ice, and light.

I am new to home maintenance and I really want to do this myself instead of paying 3 times as much for someone else to do it and I don't learn much. I also have a hot water heater problem going as well.

Sorry for the long post, I am new to this forum and want to provide as much info as possible. I appreciate any help anyone can offer.

GE Profile PFE28RSHESS July 17 by Haynea4f | Photobucket

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-17, 04:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 913 Votes on 853 Posts
Electronically controlled fridges can be a pain to diagnose.

Remove the front kick plate and look all around for the tech sheet. It may be folded in a neat package and hidden from view but it will be there. Sometimes it's up just above view. A mirror and flashlight can help. It will tell you how to reset the fridge and put it into diagnostic mode.

Old 07-04-17, 05:19 PM
H
Diagnostic mode

I found out how to put it into diagnostic mode. I have to hold the water, ice crush, and ice cube buttons simultaneously for 3 seconds. Then a screen pops up asking if I want to continue in diagnostic mode.

Problem is, it is touch buttons and the screen is not allowing me to do anything via touch.

I will look around for the tech sheet. There is no front kick plate, So I am thinking maybe its in the back? But I didn't see it last two times I went back there and opened it up.

Old 07-07-17, 10:03 PM
H
Service Bulletin!

I was doing endless research on this and came across a service bulletin from 2015. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...Jj2gy7-QMuYrwA is the link. It is REF05-15 GE appliances service bulletin from June 2015. I purchased the fridge in March 2015. It says it is for serial numbers May 2014 - March 2015. Since I purchased my fridge in March of 15 it falls under that time frame for fridges manufactured.

Apparently after doing more reading, this fan is drawing all the power away from everything. And my fridge has most of the symptoms described in the bulletin. It says in big red bold letters to not replace the main board.

I think this is good to know info because this forum may be getting more people with this issue. Wasn't just my model, there are 117 different refrigerator models on that bulletin.

I am going to speak with GE in the morning and ask if they will replace the part for me. On GE website it is 143 dollars. But I can get it on eBay for 75.

My UI screen stopped responding to touch, but I doubt they will replace that. So I found one pretty cheap for $99. They are normally about 300.

Old 07-07-17, 10:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 913 Votes on 853 Posts
Your are out or will be out some major bucks. Push GE for some goodwill.

Apparently the fan can draw enough power to cause the UI to stop working. It may not be bad. There have been a lot of problems with the DC fans.