Fridge damper has me baffled

Old 07-09-17, 01:24 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fridge damper has me baffled

After struggling with an 18 yr old Kenmore 106-9550781 side by side, replacing thermostat, defrost timer and finally bi metal defrost thermostat, it seems to be working fine. Fine tuning the temps between freezer and refrigerator is presenting problems.

The damper (or baffle) controlling cold air from freezer to fridge does not operate freely. I understand on later models this may be automated with a motor of some sort. On this unit it is manually adjusted with a dial on the control panel front and a long metal rod moves "something' in that box where air enters from the freezer.

I can move the rod manually but it seems to stick at some point as if it was obstructed. I can move it past the obstruction but it's hard to find the right spot.

The air flow duct has a plastic cover over it, then there is a molded foam thing over it. I'm not sure what, if anything comes off to see what's going on inside.

I can't find any diagram of the inside on the parts listing.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-17, 01:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 913 Votes on 853 Posts
In the following link....
"Refrigerator liner" shows the damper/diffuser. Pictorial # 15.
"Control" shows the linkage. Pictorial 11, 12, 13 and 14.

KENMORE REFRIGERATOR Parts | Model 1069550781 | Sears Parts Direct

Old 07-09-17, 07:51 PM
H
It doesn't show the detail

Thanks Pete, however, I've seen the same picture in hardcopy that came with the original product book. The only benefit of the online is that I can expand it bigger for my old eyes. Although i can see the difuser assembly, it doesn't show whatever mechanical parts are inside of it. The long steel rod from the control goes into it and i'm sure something is rubbing (perhaps foam insulation).

If I could open it up and look, I might see some simple fix, but from the diagram, I can't even tell how it attaches. From the diagram of the freezer liner, it looks like a screw goes through the air scoop but is behind the air duct.

It would be nice if the air difuser came off from inside the refrigerator liner but i don't see a way to do that.

It has to be just some simple flapper or baffle inside the difuser. I wish there was an expanded view of the difuser. Looking at the part itself on parts direct doesn't show where the metal rod goes inside or what's going on inside to adjust air flow.

Old 07-09-17, 08:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 913 Votes on 853 Posts
Jim....

Check out this video. It demonstrates how to replace that exact damper assembly.
you tube/watch?v=FCtXpTu_jEg

Old 07-10-17, 07:04 AM
H
thanks, but..

I did find the video for my model. It's a little different than the one you posted.
Now that I know how to remove it, I'm going to take it out and see if anything is stuck inside. The damper does work but something, (maybe the tape over the rod) is sticking so that I can't get the air flow perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcAqokRguy8