Frigidaire freezer making noise

Old 07-24-17, 05:50 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Frigidaire freezer making noise

We have a Frigidaire freezer that is only 14 months old. Yesterday it started making a clattering noise. We unplugged it for a bit & plugged it back in and it stayed quiet. It has started making the same clattering noise again. I'm thinking worst case it is the compressor. I haven't pulled it out yet to look closer. Could it be something else like a fan maybe?

TexasFire

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-17, 07:29 AM
T
OK, I pulled the freezer out from the wall (wouldn't you know it, stuffed full!) and the noise is coming from the middle back of the unit, NOT the compressor. It sounds / feels like there is a fan inside the back wall that is loose and is hitting something. The back wall doesn't appear to be removable so my assumption is that it's time to completely empty the freezer. Guessing this fan is likely in a housing on the back wall? If this can be repaired without having to completely empty it that would be great. This is a Frigidaire model LFFH20F3QWC serial number WB60849210 manufactured 2-16. Sad that an appliance has to malfunction so early in its life.
TexasFire

I have a service tech coming later today, just trying to do some troubleshooting up front.

Old 07-24-17, 09:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 50 Votes on 46 Posts
Sounds like it is freezing up and fan is hitting ice. may be a defroster problem.

Old 07-24-17, 10:03 AM
T
Well, that's what it was. I could have saved that service call money. We also didn't need to completely empty the freezer as the panel that conceals the coil & fan is on the lower back wall. Six or eight screws and it was out of the way exposing the problem. All the tech did was clear the ice. He suggested that the freezer was probably not closed all the way allowing it to ice up. We have a grandson that can't keep his nose out of there so that's a likely possibility. We'll be keeping it locked from now on. I hope there isn't another issue with defrost.

Mark

Old 07-24-17, 10:07 AM
Group Moderator
Received 731 Votes on 686 Posts
I agree with pugsi.

You'd have to remove the cover over the evaporator coil, lower in the freezer, to see the fan and the coil.

On edit:
Keep an eye on it for ice buildup. That box has a mechanical defrost timer that is easily checked if needed,.