GFWR4805 Front Load Washer - drain pump stuck ON

Old 07-24-17, 07:23 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GFWR4805 Front Load Washer - drain pump stuck ON

I am working on our 3 year old GE GFWR4805FOMC Front Load Washer. The issue, initially, was that wash cycles seemed to be ending early, with poorly wrung out clothes (still heavy with water).

After cleaning the pump filter and returning it to the unit, the machine is now stuck on 'Rinse + Spin', with the drain pump running continuously. The major controls on the panel are now inoperative - eg : Power, Start/Pause.

I have :

1. Unplugged the unit for up to 15 mins at a time, hoping that the fault would clear during 're-boot' (as soon as power is restored, the unit resumes it's drain pump activity)

2. Tried cutting and restoring pressure at the water supply hoses

3. Lowering the drain hose to the floor in an effort to assist possible drain line issues.

None of these have helped.

What would be the next step? One thing of note - during the cleaning of the pump filter, I neglected to properly use the pour spout to deflect the drain water into a receptacle, and so that volume of water ended up going into the plastic drain pan under the whole machine. I am slowly mopping up all that moisture, just in case the unit is equipped with some sort of 'flood sensor' that would cause the condition I am seeing. (?)

Any ideas on what to do next? I may be tasked with removing the drain pump, under the assumption that something has made it's way past the pump filter and is preventing the impellers rotating properly. I'm not looking forward to that possibility - this unit is a beast! I think rolling it over on to it's side could be a 2-man job.

Grant.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-17, 09:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 58 Posts
I found this for your washer. i have been retired for a few years so not up to speed on that washer. There is a way to reset computer but can't remember. Will look over manual and see if i can help.
http://www.msaworld.com/wp-content/u...-Washer.V2.pdf
No index in manual but service mode starts page 83. GE washers were very finicky, you have to enter and exit service mode the way it says (no short cuts) May have changed by now.

Last edited by pugsl; 07-24-17 at 09:54 AM.
Old 07-24-17, 10:26 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GFWR4805 - using the service manual

Thank you for finding this very useful document. Following your lead, I attempted to get the machine into Service Mode (p.83 and onwards). If I plug the unit back in (restoring power) the unit's pump immediately kicks in, and the sequence of keystrokes that are required to enter Service Mode are not recognized.

It seems I have to somehow first knock out the state that the washer is currently stuck in. I will continue scanning the manual to see if there's any insight into this situation and how to resolve it.

Thanks again!

Grant.

Old 07-24-17, 12:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 58 Posts
Without being there it sounds like a button stuck or control board problem.