Two different electric dryers in a row not getting hot but running normally

Old 07-30-17, 01:11 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Two different electric dryers in a row not getting hot but running normally

Backstory - we just moved in to a new place with a Maytag washer and dryer already in it. Upon moving in and doing the first load of laundry, the dryer would turn on and run through a cycle without ever getting hot. I played with it but never got it working and then one day, it suddenly started heating and worked fine with no explanation as to why. I figured it was some quirk and not knowing the history of the machines just accepted that it at least worked now.

Fast forward to this weekend - we decided we liked our LG washer/dryer that we brought with us and moved them in to place. They were both in excellent working condition and just over 1.5 years old before the move. I plug in the dryer and it's doing the exact same thing. Everything turns on and runs through cycles normally but not heating up.

What I'm trying to figure out is if a dryer will run off 120v (like one half of the circuit breaker is bad or lose connection somewhere) but not have enough power for the heater. I feel like the issue is my home wiring since two different dryers from different manufacturers have done the same thing. Any ideas on where to start? My multi-meter batteries are currently dead so I will check voltages at the plug and coming in to the dryer in the morning. I'm just looking for other ideas or to confirm that the dryer may work normally (no heater though) if it is at least getting 120v.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-17, 02:18 AM
R
Found some batteries - So when I check the terminals on the back of the dryer I have 120v from red to white, and essentially 0v from red to black. I do have 240v at the breaker so I most likely have an issue at the receptacle. I at least answered my question that a dryer will appear to work normally only having 120v.

Old 07-30-17, 02:57 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
so I most likely have an issue at the receptacle.
Yes.
I at least answered my question that a dryer will appear to work normally only having 120v
Basically both most electric dryers and gas dryers of the same model/manufacturer are the same as far as motor and controls. They are 120 volt dryers then they either add a 240 volt heat element or a gas burner. You have a failure of one of the two 240 legs. (120v is neutral and one 240 leg so it will appear to run just not heat if the 240 leg not used for 120v is bad,)

Old 07-30-17, 04:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 58 Posts
From your description I would open the outlet and make sure all 3 or 4 wires are tight, If they are I would replace outlet. Does the plug go in hard or almost falls in . If goes in easy I would replace it anyway.
TURN BREAKER OFF FIRST.

Old 07-30-17, 11:12 AM
R
When I check the black and red wires going into back of the receptacle I get 240v, when I check the receptacle from the front side where the plug goes, I don't have 240v. I am going to be replacing the receptacle today and hopefully that will solve the issue. Thanks for the help.

Old 07-30-17, 01:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 58 Posts
You should also read 120 from center to both red and black. If not reading that you have a neutral issue.

Old 07-30-17, 04:36 PM
R
Thanks for the help everyone. I replaced the receptacle and everything is working correctly now.

Old 07-30-17, 04:37 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Glad you got it. Thanks for letting us know.