Refrigerator Too Cold

Old 08-03-17, 05:55 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Refrigerator Too Cold

Hi all, I have a Frigidaire frs23kf7a0 and the refrigerator is too cold. Food and beverages are partially frozen. I have the freezer set at 2 (out of 6) when the factory setting is 3.5. I'm testing it at 1.5 now. The freezer temp is around 0 degrees. When I turn off the freezer temp control I hear a click, but I don't hear a click when I turn it way up. It eventually turns back on. Food isn't freezing in the vegetable compartments. Thanks!
Martha

Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-17, 06:04 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I have a similar problem. Furd gave a good explanation.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...ool-story.html

Old 08-03-17, 06:17 AM
M
Thanks, but I think a part is malfunctioning. I was fine on the factory setting for quite some time, and now food is partially freezing in much of the refrigerator - not just one spot. It's already set very low.

Old 08-03-17, 06:40 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
How old is it? Is there any chance that it is still under warranty?

Old 08-03-17, 06:43 AM
F
Received 34 Votes on 26 Posts
PJ will have to look up your model number to see if you have a manual shutter or a thermostatically-controlled one. IF it is thermostatically controlled it may be sticking in a partially open position.

Old 08-03-17, 06:43 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 261 Votes on 231 Posts
The first step is to turn the thermostat down a notch and see how things go. Not sure why it would be getting colder now than compared to earlier - could be the knob got bumped up.

Old 08-03-17, 10:21 AM
Group Moderator
Received 924 Votes on 863 Posts
Correct model number - FRS23KF7AW0

This is a confusing fridge to work on. It uses a mechanical thermostat that monitors the freezer temperature to control the compressor. You would need to see if this stat is holding the freezer constant.

Your fridge side is controlled by another mechanical thermostat that controls an electric damper. If the freezer holds constant then a likely problem is the damper not moving or getting stuck open.

I left the following link to show you what the control looks like. There is a repair video on this page that will demonstrate what's involved in the repair.

Frigidaire 5304482075 Control Box Assembly

Last edited by PJmax; 08-03-17 at 07:59 PM. Reason: added correct model number
Old 08-03-17, 01:12 PM
M
Thanks Pete but yikes! a $300 part? Do I really need the whole control box assembly? Sorry - I left out the "w" in the model number.

Old 08-03-17, 03:45 PM
Group Moderator
I used that link because of the video.

The damper only comes as an assembly. Search using the part number in that link.
You'll find it for considerably less. One plus in buying it from a large online retailer is that they offer a 365 day return policy if the part wasn't needed.... even if it was installed.

There is a tech sheet located in the bottom of the fridge behind the kick panel. If no kick panel then underneath the back side. It will tell you how to check the damper system.

You should be able to check the airflow in the back corner of the fridge. Set the fridge temp all the way up and the airflow should cut off. Needs to be done as soon as the door is opened so that the thermostat is cold.

Old 08-03-17, 06:40 PM
M
I found the part for $155. That's a bit better. Is the kick panel that piece of plastic that runs along the bottom of the front that one could conceivably kick when the door is opened? I removed it but I didn't see a tech sheet. Isn't "underneath the back side" the bottom of the fridge? Do you mean freezer temp or fresh food temp? I turned the fresh food temp all the way up and the cold air kept blowing in.

Old 08-03-17, 07:45 PM
Group Moderator
Yes... the kick panel is at the bottom of the fridge. Use a flashlight and a mirror... it could be just above there. It's always within in the appliance but not always the easiest to locate.

I turned the fresh food temp all the way up and the cold air kept blowing in.
That sounds like the damper is stuck open. Most dampers are easy to get to check. Yours is not.

Did you happen to put a thermometer in the fridge to see if the temp went up ?
I'd try that too.