Whirlpool WRT771REYB00 fridge: not draining

Old 08-18-17, 04:31 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Whirlpool WRT771REYB00 fridge: not draining

I'm having trouble with my whirlpool fridge WRT771REYBOO. It's worked OK for the past 4 years but recently I noticed a sheet of ice on the bottom of the freezer. I also have puddles of water in the very bottom of the fridge. Everything I've read online says this is a sign of a clogged drain tube. I tried to move the fridge out and take apart the tubes but they are impossible to get to on this model (see picture). They are extremely far back and theres no way to reach it. All other models I've seen, you can simply unscrew the drain piece and remove it. I did remove the tube coming out of the freezer and dump some hot water through it but I have a feeling that's not going to be the fix. Another option I read is to simply unplug it and let everything dethaw manually. Any truth in that fix or would I just be wasting my time? Thank you.

Attached Images  

Last edited by SamAlex; 08-18-17 at 04:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-17, 07:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 733 Votes on 688 Posts
Corrected model number in title.

The area in your picture is where the drip pan is. The problem won't be there. It will be directly under the evaporator/cold coil in the freezer.

In the following link/diagram.... you'll need to remove parts 23, 9, and 3 to see the coil and drain. Click on the diagram in link for larger view.
sears parts direct/lis_png/PLDM/W1205204-00002.png

Once those parts are removed you'll see the coil and the drain pan below. Part 7 is the collector pan with the drain hole circled in red. What you should do is to cold pack the items in the freezer. Turn off the fridge. Remove the covers in the freezer. Is the coil iced up ? Is the drain pan full of ice ?

It will all have to be melted. I use a hair blow dryer to do that quicker. Keep it moving as the plastic can melt. Sop up melted ice with a towel. It may take a little longer to unthaw the drain hole. I pour a small bit of very hot water in that pan to melt that hole open. It may take several applications of hot water to unthaw it. I soak up the water once it's cooled with a towel. A small pointy tool carefully used can help clear the opening. When the drain starts running.... poor a cup of hot water and a half of cup of bleach mixed down the drain. That's all. Too much water sent down there will cause the drip pan to overflow.

Attached Images  
Old 08-20-17, 10:44 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you PJMax! I got everything off except part 3 (the whole backing piece). The ice maker was blocking it and I wasn't sure how to safely disconnect it. Anyway I could see the tray and confirmed it was a sheet of ice. I had it unplugged about and hour and a half and kept using the blow dryer and towels to soak up the excess water. I dumped hot water down there a few times too and eventually it did start to drain. Each time I poured more hot water down i confirmed it was draining through to the pan. All the ice appears to be gone and the tray is completely dry so I plugged it back in and patted the tray under the fridge dry as well. Hopefully this will take care of the issue, thanks for your help!

Old 08-20-17, 10:47 AM
Group Moderator
Received 733 Votes on 688 Posts
Good job.

For the most part.... the ice maker hangs on the side freezer wall. There is sometimes one screw at the bottom to hold it in place. The power just unplugs. There is no water connection to be concerned with.