Whirlpool LXR7244PQ0 keeps getting socks caught under agitator and tub

Old 08-20-17, 04:16 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Whirlpool LXR7244PQ0 keeps getting socks caught under agitator and tub

Hi all,

I keep finding my wife's socks (granted they are smaller than mine) under the agitator. I'm also wondering if this is contributing to the intermittent drain problem I have. After the wash is done, sometimes not all the water is drained out. Not a lot, but a little left in the tub and on the bottom of the agitator.

Today I took the agitator out and found one of her socks buried far in, very close to the stem where the agitator fits on. I searched on the internet, and videos, and can't find anything regarding this particular washer if the agitator needs to be flush with the tub or not. In putting the agitator back in, I found that the gap was still there, enough for a sock to fit under, but I had lined it up correctly, so it doesn't look like it will go down any further.

Does anyone know if this model is supposed to have that gap? After putting it all together (I wound up taking it apart and drained the hoses and saw nothing inside them that would clog it up.

Thanks!
mlcmlc

Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-17, 05:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 50 Votes on 46 Posts
Not a common problem with your washer, In fact in many years of washer repair I have only seen this once. The basket was rusted at the stem and basket had dropped down. Can you get you fingers under agitator? Should not be enough room. 1/4 inch gap is normal. As long as timer is not short cycling water should drain. Water pump is direct drive off motor. In console is a tech sheet that will tell you how long each cycle is.
If sock only happened once I would not worry about it.

Old 08-20-17, 06:21 PM
M
Thanks for your reply. Yes its about 1/4" gap and enough for my wife's socks to get under there. Today I had it completely apart, I also found a sock wedged in the top between the metal tub and plastic tub. Got that out. Drained it all and ran a short wash test. Complete drainage. Then put in a large load of laundry and it drained completely this time. I did not wash any socks though.

Old 08-21-17, 04:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 50 Votes on 46 Posts
Sock wedged between tub and basket is your draining problem. Not so much a drain problem as a no spin problem. Without proper spin speed clothes stay to wet and water does not drain.

Old 08-21-17, 06:03 AM
M
Thanks pugsl. I saw nothing else stuck and the hoses clear. So that had to be it. The test run and the load of laundry I did last night left the metal tub bone dry after it was done. Yes the clothes were wet but you did not have to wring them out as I had to prior to me removing that sock.