Sticking Refrigerator Door

Old 09-06-17, 04:48 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sticking Refrigerator Door

I have an old Hotpoint fridg, 2-door, top freezer. Works well. Lately The door to the fridg seems to stick when I open it after it's been closed for awhile. I think it's the rubber gasket that's sticking. Is it OK to clean it, and if so, with what? If need for a cleaning isn't the cause, what might it be?

Thanks for any responses!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-17, 04:58 PM
Received 168 Votes on 153 Posts
Try using just plain hot soapy water and a bit of elbow grease. Do both the gasket and the mating surface. If that doesn't work, it's time for a new gasket. But is the fridge worth the cost a gasket and time to install it?

Old 09-07-17, 02:44 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Is it sticking or just breaking the vacuum? It's normal for a fridge or freezer that was open a bit long (loading in groceries for instance) and then closed for a while to possibly get quite a vacuum inside from the warmer air being cooled. My new chest freezer? I thought I had inadvertently locked it after it being closed for about 5 days. Thing is, it doesn't have a lock! As soon as it moved just a bit I heard "whooosh" and it opened like normal the next few days.

You could test by using a butter knife or similar thin dull blade to slightly pry the gasket away from the cabinet. Possibly just using your fingers to pull on a corner and listening closely would work.

Old 09-08-17, 12:17 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the responses.
I'm not sure if it was just sticking or breaking the vacuum, maybe a bit of both. I did clean the gasket & connecting surface. It seems to have done the trick, I'm embarrassed to say but glad the problem is resolved!

Old 09-08-17, 12:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 733 Votes on 688 Posts
You can also treat the gasket with a little bit of spray silicone. You could actually spray some on a rag and wipe the gasket with it. Silicone is a dry lubricant which will make the gasket a little more slippery but not attract dust and dirt. You can do the same for the mating surface on the box.