Kenmore 80 washing machine hums and dims lights

Old 09-09-17, 02:51 PM
Kenmore 80 washing machine hums and dims lights

I have a Kenmore 80 series top load washing machine model 110.92281100 Serial CC2063139. It was working fine but when it came time for the rinse drain it just hummed and the lights dimmed slightly. I tried putting it in wash, same thing just hums. Won't even go directly into spin. It washed no problem,it drained and spin no problem and it agitated for the rinse no issues but when it came time to drain it just stopped.

I used a shop vac to get the water out. At first I couldn't even turn the agitator by hand it was jammed. I removed the clothes and nothing was trapped around the agitator. After tipping the unit on it's side the agitator was able to be turned by hand again but when turning the spin clutch by hand it will lock up after a couple turns in either direction. I can turn the motor itself by hand with it still attached to the transmission.

The motor coupler is still intact. Tried powering it up again with the same results. It just hums and won't do anything. looked at the capacitor but it has no info written on it other then W2 and 2 red wires attached to it.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-17, 03:13 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 210
It sounds like something caught in the drain pump. Possibly a sock.

You need to tip the unit back against the wall and remove the pump from the motor as it just clips on. Have towels nearby as there will be water.

Old 09-10-17, 06:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 13
Do as PJmax said but leave the hoses connected. Set washer back on floor and see if motor runs (put in spin and turn on) Most likely sock stuck in pump, plan on buying pump as I have only been able to get a couple of them out. Here is part # of pump 3352492 I found them from 9 to 40 dollars.
Get as much water out of washer before trying anything, About 25 gallons of water in washer.

Old 09-17-17, 09:01 AM
Ok update.

I checked the pump, nothing trapped in it. Ended up overhauling it and put a new motor,clutch,coupler,and start capacitor and it runs again. One thing I noticed is the machine uses the blue clutch spring, however for whatever reason the black spring is installed instead of the blue. Will this cause damage down the line? The machine runs fine.

Old 09-17-17, 09:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 13
One of the springs has a little more tension than the other. Don't think you will have a problem. I know the directions say use the same spring but I always went with the one installed.

Old 09-17-17, 09:47 AM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 210
The blue spring is used for large capacity washers and the black spring is for compacts.