Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

GE Prodigy agitates but won't proceed to spin/drain

FL

09-13-17, 03:07 AM   #1 (permalink)  
GE Prodigy agitates but won't proceed to spin/drain

The model # is WPSE4270AOWW.

It makes a slight buzzing sound while stuck after agitating waiting to spin. What is the first two or three troubleshooting steps? This just started happening after the power turned back on after being off for two days after hurricane Irma if that has anything to do with it.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

NC

09-13-17, 07:02 AM   #2 (permalink)  
Power surge may have been a problem as that washer has a electronic control board. I not sure if your washer does this but give it a try. Unplug washer for a minute, plug in and open and close lid 7 or 8 times this resets computer. try spin, If does not work check lid switch.

FL

09-14-17, 02:56 AM   #3 (permalink)  
Thanks. That tip didn't work. What do I do to check the switch? It's not a button. It's like a magnet or something. Two parts that just touch

Forum Topic Moderator

NC

09-14-17, 07:37 AM   #4 (permalink)  
You need to open console, Lid switch switch is on right side, Use a magnet on switch or close lid. Switch should show closed with lid closed.
Forgot to ask do you have a multi meter?

FL

10-11-17, 05:59 AM   #5 (permalink)  
Yes, what do I need to test? Haven't had time to deal with this. Was fiddling around with printers and now my ac is acting up.

So how do I get this "console" open? Stick a butter knife in there?

FL

10-11-17, 06:10 AM   #6 (permalink)  
Okay, I'm in the but this switch appears to require surgery to inspect. I've got some magnets. So with lid open place magnet on top and it should allow it to spin, whereas if not then we rule out the switch? Is that the idea? After that then what should I prod with the multimeter? Thanks!

Magnet switch underneath https://imgur.com/a/3647w

https://i.imgur.com/Rx1xOLA.jpg

FL

10-17-17, 08:43 PM   #7 (permalink)  
Drains without a load but not with. Just buzzes

So what does this mean?

Ive watched a few videos but I want to first investigate before I start tearing it apart.

Doesn't sound like a clog then right?

Nor any lid switch problem right?

I'll finish washing this load I recently put in and remove the clothes squeezing them out to be able to drain the washer which I'm guessing will work for now. Will report back later.

Forum Topic Moderator

NC

10-18-17, 05:02 AM   #8 (permalink)  
Lid switch is under top and front needs to come off. 2 screws and top hinges back. With console open lid switch connector is on right side. Unplug wires and wires coming out from lid are what you check. Did washer spin with magnet. Read post but don't see what washer did. Lid closed should show a circuit.

FL

10-19-17, 12:05 PM   #9 (permalink)  
Thanks. Okay, things have changed. so I was able to get the spin/drain cycle going by pushing the fan blade on the pump. Had to do it a couple times so far keeping this load washing. What does this mean? Dirty pump fan? A little grease? Already put some. Or is this a sign of a dying pump fan?

Also, it only goes through one whole cycle then doesn't continue. Like it fills, agitates, spins then stops. So shouldn't be the switch then right? Whats going on?

Forum Topic Moderator

NC

10-19-17, 04:49 PM   #10 (permalink)  
Replace the pump. There is no repair for pump. After water drains use a wet dry vacuum on drain hose to get rest of water out. There usually about 1 to2 gallons still in washer after it drains.

FL

10-20-17, 09:55 PM   #11 (permalink)  
Thank you but what about the fact that once it starts it can't continue past a cycle on it's own? What causes it to restart and fill with water again? That wouldn't be the pump correct?

Forum Topic Moderator

NC

10-21-17, 03:43 AM   #12 (permalink)  
Once you start the pump and it drains some does it start spinning and go to the next cycle? I can't remember but if it will not drain I think it will not continue till it drains.

FL

10-22-17, 04:27 AM   #13 (permalink)  
Yes, it drains. It finishes a whole cycle I'm guessing, from fill to drain, and you know how depending on where u set the dial it will go through it several times, but now it just goes once. So I can just keep resetting it manually basically until I fix it. Tell me, what is that tube on the left side for? Does that start some part of the cycle? I saw one guy in some video blow into it for some reason to fix the no drain issue. I wasn't quite sure what he was doing or what that is.

Forum Topic Moderator

NC

10-22-17, 05:10 AM   #14 (permalink)  
Small plastic tube goes to the pressure switch (water level). Works on air pressure, more water in tub more pressure on switch.

Search this Thread