LG Dryer takes 2 and 3 times to dry load- DLE7177WM

Old 10-15-17, 06:43 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
LG Dryer takes 2 and 3 times to dry load- DLE7177WM

I have a LG dryer that I've been nursing to health for the last few years. It takes a large load 2 even 3 times to dry on the hottest cycle. I've replaced some elements to it in the last 2 years - Thermal Fuses, high limit thermostat, maybe the thermostat also. Because I've replaced all of these parts, I've been on the inside and cleaned out the inside of the dryer. Replaced lint filter screen to make sure I was trapping all of the lint too. The dryer vent has about a 10 foot path straight outside. I've cleaned that a couple of times. The first time I cleaned it- it had lots of gunk!

So I've done that thorough vent/duct cleaning and I wanted to take a thermometer and see how hot the dryer was getting. It register's anywhere from 95-110 degrees if I stick the sensor inside the exhaust vent from the outside. That is with the dryer on medium to hot(max) setting.

What are some of the next troubleshooting steps to figure out what to do next. Getting kind of irritated with this. Not much of a troubleshooter/home repair guy- but I've learned a lot on repairing this thing.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-17, 08:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 14 Votes on 14 Posts
Everything you have described leads to a clogged or restricted vent . Do you have hard tubing to outside? I know you have cleaned it but look for kinks In tube, If flexible plastic replace it. Feel air flow at back of dryer it should be a strong flow, the same for outside.
Temp at back on high should be 150 to 165 and cycling down to around 100. If air flow at back of dryer feels weak blower wheel may have come loose on shaft (very rare on LG) or a slight possibility of restriction in tube leaving dryer.
When you push dryer back into place make sure you do not pinch vent, Very common problem, I make a lot of money fixing dryers because of that.

Old 10-15-17, 09:12 AM
Thanks for your reply! The vent running through the wall to the outside is PVC. Hereís what runs from my dryer to the wall, I know itís less than ideal because itís so long:
Name:  dv.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  65.8 KB

I suppose I could cut that shorter, but itís such a pain in that tight space to attach a hose. When you say 150-160 degrees, should that temperature transfer all the way to the end of the exhaust irises the home, or is that if I were to disconnect my dryer and check inside at the back of the dryer?

Last edited by PJmax; 10-15-17 at 10:43 AM. Reason: added pic from link
Old 10-15-17, 10:02 AM
Received 69 Votes on 62 Posts
Thats a big lint trap, really need to get hard duct in there to improve air flow.

But you need to pull the dryer out and check what;s going on, that will define what needs to be done.

Old 10-15-17, 10:46 AM
Group Moderator
Received 216 Votes on 205 Posts
What amazes me is how often the vent line to outside is installed at the floor level. I see carpenters and builders do it all the time. It's nearly impossible to make an easy connection with the discharge line at the floor.

Old 10-15-17, 11:00 AM
I've pulled out the dryer; I haven't taken it apart- but there really wasn't any lint or anything to clean where the dryer exhaust was. There actually wasn't a huge amount of lint in the hose between the dryer and the wall; but some. Nothing like what was in the line that runs through the wall, including hair- which probably traps lint.

Anybody got any recommendations on how to have the smallest hose or fixture but still be able to connect it to wall and dryer I've seen those "magnetic attach" hoses, those look cool.

Old 10-15-17, 02:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 14 Votes on 14 Posts
I have seen the adds for the magnetic ones but have not ever seen one, Look cool tho. Did you feel air flow at back of dryer? Yes temp are taken at back of dryer. I have a temp checker wire for my gauge that I can put in there Sometimes I use blue painters tape to hold it in place. If you use a gauge with a pointed shaft just poke it through the the vent hose at dryer. Either tape hole or cut it a little shorter.