Old 10-23-17, 10:11 AM
U
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Whirlpool top freezer not freezing - Part II

Whirlpool top freezer not freezing
Whirlpool top freezer/refrigerator model WRT579SMYM00

After receiving help on this thread:

https://www.doityourself.com/forum/e...-freezing.html

I had a repair person come out to take a look at my fridge. Unfortunately, he told me that all of the freon had leaked out of my refrigerator. He put the freon with the dye embedded in it in an attempt to find the leak, but could not immediately find the leak. He told me to leave the refrigerator running for a couple of days to see if a leak manifests itself better. But with the new freon, the freezer is working great now.

However, he mentioned that if he could not find the leak, that meant that it may be leaking in an inaccessible/unrepairable section of the refrigerator. This would be bad. Which leads to my question.

He mentioned that there is this "stop leak" type refrigerant that he might be able to fill the refrigerator with. He didn't mention much about that, other than he had to "talk to his boss" about using it and making sure it is available.

Question about this "stop leak" stuff...........Does anyone know anything about it? Will it make a good repair?

Frankly, I'd be happy to replace the refrigerator, but this refrigerator is located inside a RV. Getting the refrigerator out and getting a new one in can be quite complicated as the doors leading into and out of a RV are narrow, requiring the refrigerator to come through the front windshield. The time and expense of removing and reinstalling the front windshield can be quite high, hence my dilemma.

Thanks.

Old 10-23-17, 09:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,599 Votes on 1,473 Posts
but this refrigerator is located inside a RV
Ahhhh.... surprise.

I would have said a leak a lot sooner. Due to the movement of the coach..... and jarring of the compressor..... I'd expect the leak to be around the compressor or any splice point.

Here's the problem with leak stop...... it gets into tight locations and forms a block. It may seal the leak and it may clog the capillary tube. I don't use any sealers in refrigerant. The capillary tube is a real tiny piece of copper tubing. The hole thru its center serves to meter the refrigerant into the evaporator coil inside the fridge.

The fridge is working now but it will leak out again.
Not much to lose at this point..... try the sealer.

Old 10-23-17, 09:16 PM
U
He-he yes I went back to the old thread and see that I forgot to mention that.

I'm hoping when the technician comes back Wednesday a leak has manifested itself. He also stated what you did about a joint or compressor failure, but we couldn't find a point of leak.

Leak stop it is if we can't find anything. I'll report back : )

P.S. The technician said he's been fixing refrigerators for 33 years but had never been called to repair one in a RV. Surprised.

Old 10-23-17, 10:04 PM
Group Moderator
That's not a typical fridge found in an RV. Typically they are of the ammonia type and have no compressor.

Old 10-24-17, 12:28 PM
U
Yup, in my former RV we had that type of refrigerator/freezer. They kind of suck. They're sensitive to hot outside temperatures and airflow. They also take forever to cool. But they run on 12V and propane so they're popular with RV'ers.

My Whirlpool freezer is going strong with this new precharge. It's been running for two days now and the freezer has never been colder. Shouldn't the freon have leaked out by now?

Old 10-24-17, 01:52 PM
Group Moderator
Not really. It may have taken a while for it to leak out until the point you noticed it. That would suggest a very small leak. Tough to find those.

Old 10-30-17, 10:29 PM
U
They found the leak a week later. It was right where the clip that holds the thermostat attaches to the aluminum tubing. Need a new evaporator now. $500 : (

Old 10-30-17, 10:35 PM
Group Moderator
The charge was good while it lasted.
I'm guessing the clip wore thru from vibration.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: